Umm...Simple Question??

Share things or chat about other subjects that don't fit in to the other forums.
27 Posts

Post 02 Sep 2013, 11:25

I have been thinking on working on a resource pack myself for some time now and came up against a "simple" problem...

What should I use to make the textures and how do I make sure I have the textures at the right size...

So my question is this... What do you use to make your textures and how do you make sure they are the right size/resolution?

kind of a two parter too... How do you go about naming each texture to make sure it matches up with the default textures?

Any feedback is much appreciated, I have mixed the sphax pack with some of the custom extras that the sphax community does and have found it to be great and would love to give it a shot; again thanks for any feedback it is truly appreciated :D

~Ins0mn3sia
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
BDcraft Web Admin
6614 Posts

Post 02 Sep 2013, 17:15

For the names and structure you just copy what is in the Minecraft.jar assets folder (or indeed any mod zip/jars assets folder if you patch a mod).

Resolutions are 16x, 32x, 64x, 128x, 256x, 512x. Technically they can be anything divisible by 8, but they're generally not used, as it's kind of pointless.

GUIs have a max size of 1024x1024. At 32x they're 512x512x.

Most people make textures in PhotoShop, but I use Fireworks. Others use GIMP or Corel.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
BDcraft Admin
578 Posts

Post 05 Sep 2013, 15:22

Textures must be a power of 2 because of a limitation with the graphic cards.
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Have you tried Cubik?