Defaulting with Crazy amounts of RAM

General help with our resourcepacks, our website, or Minecraft - including mods.
2 Posts

Post 28 Oct 2014, 22:17

I recently started using the 256x resourcepack of Sphax and have never seen the used memory peak over 1GB.
I have allocated 8GB in total which seems unnecessary, but when I go to run the 512x version, even with 8GB of allocated RAM, the resourcepack continues to default, I have read the help thread and I am currently using version 1.8 on a clean Install of Minecraft.
My computer is currently running on 16GB of RAM and also Windows 8.1
Exactly how much memory does the 512x version need seeing as the 256x version isn't even peaking over 1GB??

I am currently not using MCpatcher nor Optifine.

The screenshot provided shows me running the 256x version and the Memory Used
(Had to post the Screenshot on an external site because the Image file was too large for this forum)

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/Uyz5ll4
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
Former Staff
1033 Posts

Post 29 Oct 2014, 03:53

Lots of people are having issues with 1.8 using 512x. It depends heavily on your graphics card. Only a few people who have 32 gigs or linux, have been able to get it running.
BDcraft Admin
578 Posts

Post 29 Oct 2014, 07:02

I think the limitation is on the Graphic Card dedicated memory.
How much VRAM do you on your GC?
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Have you tried Cubik?
2 Posts

Post 29 Oct 2014, 09:28

My current graphics card is a GTX 760 with 4GB of GDDR5 RAM. Is this not enough?

1.8, why you have to be broke
BDcraft Web Admin
6590 Posts

Post 29 Oct 2014, 09:38 

4GB VRAM is enough, it's just that Minecraft is horribly optimized in 1.8.

We've seen it a lot that it just does not want to work for a lot of people with good rigs no matter what you try.

Maybe try the Optifine 1.8 preview? It may help the memory issues.

Something to note: No matter what I try (more RAM (7GB), less RAM (1GB), no RAM defined -- VRAM never really gets above 500MB (and I have 4GB)) I always get stuck on the same texture (items/gold_nugget)... which to me suggests MC is just ignoring resources, but I'm no Java guru...

Like Aedaeum says it's been very hit or miss and some people have managed under certain circumstances. You may just be stuck on 256x until Mojang pull their fingers out.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
BDcraft Admin
578 Posts

Post 29 Oct 2014, 10:03

Weirdly enough, 1.8 is awesome for bad computers with low res textures... and very bad for good computers with high res textures...

I really hope Mojang will continue to optimize the game to make it be able to handle high res textures like any other game nowadays...
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Have you tried Cubik?
BDcraft Web Admin
6590 Posts

Post 29 Oct 2014, 10:07

Sphax wrote:
Weirdly enough, 1.8 is awesome for bad computers with low res textures... and very bad for good computers with high res textures...
Actually, from what I've read on MCF and reddit it has nothing to do with textures, it's literally just that Mojang messed up in general. Yea, it runs better on low-end computers in default, but a lot of people with high-end rigs using default textures have had huge FPS hits.

It's got nothing to do with texture resolution. It's just whatever Mojang did they did it badly... who'd have thunk.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin