[Edge Case] Block place/break lag spike in certain regions

Archive of bug reports that have been completed or locked for various other reasons.
Note: This forum is visibly hidden from users, but is still searchable and readable.
4 Posts

Post 20 Sep 2017, 20:10

Hello!
I have been using BDcraft for years and have always loved it. Recently however, on the second floor and roof of my minecraft house on my realm, whenever I place or break any block it lag spikes for about a second: I go from 250fps to like 20. Now at first I figured there was some issue with my computer or my world, but after many tests I have concluded that the lag only happens while using this texture pack. I was using the 256x version so I dropped it down to 128x then to 64x then to the smallest possible 16x version of the texture pack, and the lag persisted. I have even tried minecraft's default textures and also other 128x and 256x texture packs and they work perfectly fine with no lag, which I find hard to believe that the 16x version of this pack would cause the lag spikes when a 256x realism pack does not. I've been racking my brain and googling on the web trying to find an answer and I have come up empty. Does anyone know what the issue is?
Thanks!
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
BDcraft Web Admin
6586 Posts

Post 20 Sep 2017, 20:21

Does it do it on a new world? Which MC version? What's the name of the resourcepack zip? Which blocks are you using?
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
4 Posts

Post 20 Sep 2017, 20:32

HanFox wrote:
Does it do it on a new world? Which MC version? What's the name of the resourcepack zip? Which blocks are you using?
I haven't been able to replicate the lag on another world so far, because it looks like the lag is specific to the region in my world which would be the top floor of my house. This is on the newest version of minecraft (1.12.2 I think?) which is required to even connect to the realm, but this issue was also present about a week ago on 1.12.1. The pack is downloaded directly from the PureBDcraft website and no modifications to the zips have been made I just threw them in and activated them. It's also not an optifine issue because I have tried with and without it, and the issue persists. My house is made of a LOT of stone brick, some cobblestone and oak wood planks. The floor where the issue is happening is made of wood planks, but the lag was happening when I initially built the house at that level too.

EDIT: Also tried earlier versions of the texture pack, all the way back to 1.9 and it still lag spikes.
BDcraft Web Admin
6586 Posts

Post 20 Sep 2017, 20:45 

Hmm, it'd be hard to say what it was.

We do have some quite complex models for planks to randomise their patterns.

You could try deleting from /assets/minecraft/blockstates files that are [wood]_double_slab, planks, slab and stairs for each wood type.

You'd be the first to have an issue with those though.
4 Posts

Post 20 Sep 2017, 23:55

Wow, so I deleted just the oak wood related files that you suggested and now it works flawlessly, so that seemed to be the issue. I've attached a couple of images showing the area it was happening, which does contain a roof double thick of wooden stairs, so probably about 4 stacks of stairs. So do I need these files that I deleted for the pack to work? Or am I fine without them with no visual change really?

[link]https://imgur.com/a/FZXEr[/link]
BDcraft Web Admin
6586 Posts

Post 21 Sep 2017, 07:55

You don't need the files. All they do is randomise the wood pattern slightly.

If they are indeed the culprit I may have to try and simplify them. Either way it's useful to know that disabling them fixed your lag.
4 Posts

Post 21 Sep 2017, 13:10

Okay cool, thanks for your help!