Copyright :/

Topics regarding PureBDcraft, the HD cartoony resourcepack for Minecraft Java Edition.
65 Posts

Post 12 Jun 2014, 16:08

Umm I know this may be none of my business but; today, while I was checking on some IPad games, I found out that there is an app called "World Craft HD" under the "Top Free" games list.

In this app, they use mostly all of Sphax's PureBDCraft textures and shows no credits to Sphax and his team in the description

If you are wondering, its a Minecraft like game, which the App Store is just full of those -.-
Can't post any screen shots though x.x syncing IPad and the laptops takes some time :p

Anyways this is just to inform you :)
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
65 Posts

Post 13 Jun 2014, 10:55

Thanks for posting the screenshots for me :)
288 Posts

Post 13 Jun 2014, 19:13

Ugh, people can be trash sometimes. Sphax doesn't need to deal with all this crap...
16 Posts

Post 21 Jun 2014, 13:53

If this was a paid app, they'd be breaking the law OVERTIME!
Some people believe I play MineCraft, I'm beginning to feel its MY REALITY

Immature is what boring people call normal people.
29 Posts

Post 25 Jul 2014, 00:09

There is no copyright. Even if it was a paid app, the EULA is being enforced into the Minecraft "law". So even if the games uses Sphax's textures, with the EULA it'll be useless to put up a fight. If their was no EULA, the most Sphax can do is contact them. You don't pay for Sphax textures, therefore them using Sphax's textures wouldn't be able to start up an argument. But if we were thinking non scientificly, Sphax PureBDcraft is the most BEAUTIFUL resource pack, so WorldCraft using Sphax's textures without "permission" should be a crime.
"Doesn't matter where you go in life, as long as you succeed and achieve your life goal"
BDcraft Web Admin
6622 Posts

Post 25 Jul 2014, 09:57

Erm... you still have a copyright. The EULA still categorically states whatever is made by a third party still belongs to them and any rights anyone can claim towards their own work still stand you just can't sell it for money (but you can still monetize it via adf.ly/ads on a website). Mojang can still take or use your work as they see fit (but they generally will try to compensate you), but that doesn't make it open to everyone, just Mojang.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
BDcraft Admin
578 Posts

Post 25 Jul 2014, 23:14

I don't think that Mojang have any right for the things done for Minecraft if those things do not use anything from Minecraft itself.

Textures are the property of their respective creators.
PureBDcraft textures are not the property of Mojang in any way. Users can use PureBDcraft according to its license.

Also, I think that anything can be monetized as soon as the monetized content do not contain any copyrighted elements (like original Minecraft assets).

PureBDcraft IS copyrighted and has a visible and explicit license with its legal code.
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Have you tried Cubik?
BDcraft Web Admin
6622 Posts

Post 25 Jul 2014, 23:32

Sphax wrote:
I don't think that Mojang have any right for the things done for Minecraft if those things do not use anything from Minecraft itself.
Their EULA is so poorly written and doesn't define what they mean by "content". Most people interpret it to be in-game creations, but content broadly defined is something expressed via a particular medium. As such, the English language being used broadly, would suggest that a resourcepack made to work with Minecraft would be considered game content and the EULA states that "If you make any content available on or through our Game, you must give us permission to use, copy, modify and adapt that content."

Soooooooo, you own your work, but so does Mojang just because they made the game and you've agreed to the EULA when you bought, downloaded and played it.

Like I said though, it hinges on how Mojang are defining "content". The EULA doesn't explicitly name textures or resourcepacks at any point.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
29 Posts

Post 26 Jul 2014, 18:09

Sphax wrote:

Textures are the property of their respective creators.
PureBDcraft textures are not the property of Mojang in any way. Users can use PureBDcraft according to its license.

Also, I think that anything can be monetized as soon as the monetized content do not contain any copyrighted elements (like original Minecraft assets).

PureBDcraft IS copyrighted and has a visible and explicit license with its legal code.
How can a resource pack be copyrighted? It's just a resource pack. Everything should be under Mojang legal code.
"Doesn't matter where you go in life, as long as you succeed and achieve your life goal"