|PureBDcraft| animated and different blocks

Topics regarding PureBDcraft, the HD cartoony resourcepack for Minecraft Java Edition.
9 Posts

Post 23 Apr 2016, 19:14

I thought that this idea would be great for Bdcraft.

what I thought is like different textures for blocks when you place them down.
like bigger seeds for dirt, scratches on logs, different ways plants look like, etc...
I know there is some blocks that have this cool feature but I don't notice it very often.
just a bigger amount of blocks that have this feature would be really cool.

Now animated textures are good in this pack but maybe some more would be nice as well.
like the mobs can blink or plants go with the wind or liquid dripping from buckets.
there is a lot of other animated textures that I do know but blinking mobs would look very nice indeed :3

Also just one more thing....YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME :D
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
Got Grungey First
385 Posts

Post 24 Apr 2016, 12:32

The trouble is, adding more things like these increases the amount of textures, and the amount of atlas size used. Unfortunately, we're running out of atlas space as it is, and have even had to disable CTM for 512x as a result. Believe me, I would love to do random textures and animations, but we just don't have room. :(
9 Posts

Post 24 Apr 2016, 18:17

well thanks for the addon bro :3
I can understand how you explained it to me
11 Posts

Post 25 Aug 2016, 21:11

Can I ask what atlas space is?
Got Grungey First
385 Posts

Post 25 Aug 2016, 21:25

Sure :) Basically, Minecraft generates a massive texture sheet, of all the textures stitched together. Due to hardware limitations, the maximum size this atlas can be is 16384*16384. If your textures, when stitched, exceed this limit, Minecraft will crash. Currently 512x is on the verge of exceeding this limit, despite us implementing many ways that cut down on space usage (filling empty space, etc). Thus, if we created alternate textures for many blocks, we'd have less space for things that may need it, such as future blocks and items.

In reference to the original post, as I failed to cover earlier, blinking mobs is in the works, it's just complicated, and requires lots of work to achieve well. (Plus the guide files have to be different per resolution.)
Lifetime Supporter
247 Posts

Post 25 Aug 2016, 22:12

EskiMojo14 wrote:
Due to hardware limitations, the maximum size this atlas can be is 16384*16384
I don't think that limit applies to all video cards. Older low-end video cards and igpus are limited to 8192x8192 or less, while I think gtx 1070 and 1080 might actually allow the atlas to grow to 32768x32768 (gtx 1070 ref, gtx 1080 ref - see gl_max_texture_size)
Got Grungey First
385 Posts

Post 25 Aug 2016, 22:19

That may be, but 16384^2 is a good baseline to work for. Only a minority will be capable of higher, and if their gpu can't take it, there are plenty of lower resolutions.
11 Posts

Post 28 Aug 2016, 13:00

EskiMojo14 wrote:
Sure :) Basically, Minecraft generates a massive texture sheet, of all the textures stitched together. Due to hardware limitations, the maximum size this atlas can be is 16384*16384. If your textures, when stitched, exceed this limit, Minecraft will crash. Currently 512x is on the verge of exceeding this limit, despite us implementing many ways that cut down on space usage (filling empty space, etc). Thus, if we created alternate textures for many blocks, we'd have less space for things that may need it, such as future blocks and items.

In reference to the original post, as I failed to cover earlier, blinking mobs is in the works, it's just complicated, and requires lots of work to achieve well. (Plus the guide files have to be different per resolution.)
Oh! I see. That makes sense. Yea, I do fear that many systems are incapable of supporting this even with considerably good graphics cards for a game such as Minecraft. Currently, I have an i5-4400 and a GTX 745 in this machine, and I'm capable of running the 128x pack at max settings at 300FPS? 256x drops me to 100FPS understandably. I do understand these aren't related, but animated textures will most certainly impact performance as well. Is it possible to create an addon pack with all the animated textures, rather than to include them in the main pack? Does the game still take it upon itself to stitch multi-pack textures together? I believe this is very similar to 1.5x and below packs having the terrain.png files? A little more extensive, understandably as textures have become much more complex in the way they are implemented since the 'Texturepack Overhaul' changes a while back.
Lifetime Supporter
247 Posts

Post 28 Aug 2016, 14:13

Schyken wrote:
Oh! I see. That makes sense. Yea, I do fear that many systems are incapable of supporting this even with considerably good graphics cards for a game such as Minecraft. Currently, I have an i5-4400 and a GTX 745 in this machine, and I'm capable of running the 128x pack at max settings at 300FPS? 256x drops me to 100FPS understandably. I do understand these aren't related, but animated textures will most certainly impact performance as well. Is it possible to create an addon pack with all the animated textures, rather than to include them in the main pack? Does the game still take it upon itself to stitch multi-pack textures together? I believe this is very similar to 1.5x and below packs having the terrain.png files? A little more extensive, understandably as textures have become much more complex in the way they are implemented since the 'Texturepack Overhaul' changes a while back.
Optifine has a lesser-known feature that allows exporting the stitched textures: add "-DsaveTextureMap=true" to the JVM arguments, and yes, textures from multiple resource packs are stitched together. One thing I've noticed from this is that only the first frame of an animated texture is included in the atlas, so I'm not sure they affect performance that much. However, there is the customiser, and the pack already includes a couple of "alt_static" folders if you want to edit your local copy to use those instead and test for yourself how big the performance impact is.
Got Grungey First
385 Posts

Post 28 Aug 2016, 14:18

Animated textures only affect FPS, not atlas size. As @MauveCloud said, the first frame of the animation is put in the atlas, then the other frames are rendered in real time. As for choosing which textures should be animated, the Customiser can be used to switch animated textures to their static alternatives.