PureBD 1.7.10 crashes on loading pack on Win 8.1 (not RAM)

General help with our resourcepacks, our website, or Minecraft - including mods.
4 Posts

Post 21 Nov 2014, 21:43

I'm using GrungeBD and I wanted some of the connected textures and other filled in textures from PureBD, but any version of PureBD crashes and removes all texture packs besides default.

Before anyone says it, it is NOT a RAM issue. I have 6GB of RAM allocated, I have most of my mods disabled at this time, and I can usually load much higher quality texture packs than the 128x128 and 256x256 that I am trying with PureBD. If you still aren't convinced, I used Task Manager to measure my RAM usage when trying to load that pack and it barely uses half of what I have allocated.

I considered that it may be my video card, considering I use an on-board card, but it is intel HD 4400, which isn't terrible for an on-board card, plus, why would I be able to load 256x256 GrungeBD with no issues AND underlying texture packs of 32x32 and 16x16, but not 128x128 PureBD by itself if the card is the issue?

SYSTEM SPECS:
Show
64 bitWindows 8.1 (I wouldn't be surprised at this point if 8.1 is for some reason the cause)

intel i3 dual core clocked at 3.4Ghz

8GB of RAM

GPU: on-board intel HD 4400
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
Former Staff
1033 Posts

Post 22 Nov 2014, 01:17

Connected textures only work with a mod like Optifine or Mcpatcher. I'm also confused as to whether you're trying to scavenge the CTM folder from the PureBd pack or if you're just trying to use the PureBD pack in place of the GrungeBD pack.

Now onto the next matter.... You say it's "crashing". Do you have a crash report? If you do, please post it between spoiler and code tags or paste it to pastebin.org and provide the link. If the textures switch back to default, without a crash, that IS a RAM issue.
4 Posts

Post 22 Nov 2014, 03:28

I'm using OptiFine. I have it installed through MultiMC. Also, I was trying to run PureBD under GrungeBD in the hope that it would use the MCPatcher files that Grunge doesn't have. (I don't know much about texture packs) From the way you are talking though, I assume that isn't possible. Can you give me a link to instructions for the "scavenge" method.

Also, its not a full crash, just a reset to default, like you said, but I absolutely assure you, it is not a RAM issue. I do not even come close to using the max RAM I have allocated. Not to mention that I have ran more resource taxing texture packs and mods just fine before. Unless you can think of another RAM issue besides maxing it out, that isn't the issue.

Btw, nice Rurouni Kenshin avatar! :D
BDcraft Web Admin
6615 Posts

Post 22 Nov 2014, 03:35 

Task Manager won't give you a valid response for RAM usage while MC is loading. It may not breach 2GB and still crash with an Out Of Memory error.

The CTM in PureBDcraft adds hundreds of clay connected textures. 128x can use upwards of 6GB of RAM with CTM enabled.

Also, you should NOT merge any CTM from PureBDcraft to GrungeBDcraft as they will override the style from it. What you're meant to do is get both GrungeBD and PureBD and DELETE all the CTM from PureBD. Then in your resourcepacks screen select to load both and have GrungeBD above PureBD in the right side.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
4 Posts

Post 22 Nov 2014, 04:21

What you're meant to do is get both GrungeBD and PureBD and DELETE all the CTM from PureBD. Then in your resourcepacks screen select to load both and have GrungeBD above PureBD in the right side.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Basically, I want the connected textures feature of PureBD, specifically for glass. If I delete all the CTM files in PureBD, doesn't that mean, I still won't have the effect? If you mean that I will PureBD texture in exchange for the effect combined effect. I'm fine with that for the glass only, if that is possible.
BDcraft Web Admin
6615 Posts

Post 22 Nov 2014, 04:26

I suppose, but you'd need to delete all the other CTM folders. Especially the clay one as that's likely what's causing it to crash.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
4 Posts

Post 22 Nov 2014, 05:49

Thank you, it worked! I had to delete all of the CTM textures besides glass, then it worked. I guess I couldn't believe that a texture pack could eat up so much memory, but it did. Thanks for the help. Also, thanks for the tidbit about Task Manager. I never knew that.