Forums - PureBDcraft coming to Minecraft Pocket and Windows 10 : PureBDcraft for Minecraft PE - Discussions

It is currently 28 May 2017, 01:24 (All times are UTC )

BDcraft Lead Moderator

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 15:50 
With the coming release of the new Marketplace PureBDcraft will be available directly in game.

Citation:The Discovery Update is nearly here, bringing with it a wealth of mystery for you to uncover! Hunt secret stashes of loot with cartographer’s maps! Venture into the menacing woodland mansions! Journey beyond the veil of life and return once more with the Totem of Undying!

Read the full article: https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/its ... arketplace

Note: There is no mention of the Marketplace (and as such no PureBDcraft) for console editions currently.

BDcraft Moderator

Advertisement
Login to not show this ad

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 23:24 
I respect people's right to do what ever they wish with their own works, however, I do not agree with this "paid mods" type deal. Modding has always been a hobby, not a job, and adding money into the mix will only muddy the water and discourage collaboration and sharing.

"I feel nostalgia as a standard action."
- Wil Wheaton

Got Grungey First

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 08:52 
echonite wrote:Modding has always been a hobby, not a job, and adding money into the mix will only muddy the water and discourage collaboration and sharing.

Do you not think that monetary reward will encourage people to make higher quality products, in the hope that more people will buy it? You don't go to a restaurant and refuse to pay because "Cooking should be a hobby". It's not like people can flood the marketplace with low quality products, as I believe it is manually curated.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 14:10 
Sure, there will be some higher quality mods, but I think the overall community would shrink. Why would I help you with a mod if I am not going to get any cut from it?

Modding is not a job. I don't think it should be bastardized into one. The idea of money didn't draw you to modding in the first place, so why now?

And manually curated... yeah right. Who is going to do this? Valve does such a good job with their own workshop.

- Wil Wheaton

Got Grungey First

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 14:14 
Sure, maybe modding isn't a viable job for now. But why shouldn't it be possible for people to make a living doing something they actually enjoy? If you don't get a cut from a collaboration, that's the collaborator's and your problem. Who's to say that people won't collaborate?

-- edit --

... Mojang is not Valve. They'll do it their own way, and Win 10 and PE are more the Microsoft end anyway. I'm pretty sure Microsoft know what they're doing.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 15:46 
EskiMojo14 wrote:Sure, maybe modding isn't a viable job for now. But why shouldn't it be possible for people to make a living doing something they actually enjoy? If you don't get a cut from a collaboration, that's the collaborator's and your problem. Who's to say that people won't collaborate?

-- edit --

... Mojang is not Valve. They'll do it their own way, and Win 10 and PE are more the Microsoft end anyway. I'm pretty sure Microsoft know what they're doing.

Because I don't feel that pushing it towards this is good. I feel it will have detrimental effects across the board for any and all modding communities. Mod theft will run rampant, it will become all about the money, and it will destroy modding as a hobby.

And yeah, Microsoft knows what they are doing. But that doesn't make it good for us as modders or end users. They are doing what is best for them. Making money off the work of others? Sounds great for them.

The wider implications from this path stretch beyond just modding too. Many people make tools to aid in modding and release them for free. IE NifSkope for Bethesda modding, which has become vital to adding in new objects and armors. Imagine if they started charging for it. That would grind modding almost to a complete hault

Bastardizing modding into a job is not good for the future of modding, unless you want to castrate the communities.

- Wil Wheaton

Got Grungey First

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 15:57 
I'm not sure how they're "pushing towards" it. It's not like they're removing the ability to use free packs and skins. All they're doing is implementing an easier way to do it, for a small monetary cost.

Besides, it's always been "all about the money", in a sense. Modders have been making money from their products for an age. Ad revenue has been supporting modders for a long time. At one time, LexManos said he lived off Forge (they used adf.ly/adfoc.us), and if he couldn't live on that he'd let it die.

At the end of the day, I doubt I'm going to be able to change your mind, and I don't think you'll be able to change mine. We'll just have to see how the final product turns out.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 16:10 
EskiMojo14 wrote:I'm not sure how they're "pushing towards" it. It's not like they're removing the ability to use free packs and skins. All they're doing is implementing an easier way to do it, for a small monetary cost.

And you think everything will remain exactly the same, save now some people can start charging? No. Once money get's involved, everything will change. Everyone will try to sell their stuff, and the amount of people freely releasing things will drop drastically.

Citation:Besides, it's always been "all about the money", in a sense. Modders have been making money from their products for an age. Ad revenue has been supporting modders for a long time. At one time, LexManos said he lived off Forge (they used adf.ly/adfoc.us), and if he couldn't live on that he'd let it die.

The number of modders making much money is extremely small. The overwhelmingly vast majority of modding has never made a cent off it. The minecraft community is a bit of an enigma with the cancer that is ad.fly. Ive never even heard of it till I started doing stuff for Minecraft, and don't see it used anywhere else. Or any similar type things.

Plus, what if Forge were a paid thing? going through a (****) ad link is not the same as having to outright buy it. Do you think Forge would have lasted then? Given the hundreds of thousands of people that use it, do you think they would have all bought it? Not a chance in hell. It would be pirated within the hour.

Citation:At the end of the day, I doubt I'm going to be able to change your mind, and I don't think you'll be able to change mine. We'll just have to see how the final product turns out.

Oh, I know how it will turn out. This is a lot bigger than just allowing some people to charge for their work. The implications on the wider scale are a real issue that people just don't understand. This isn't my first tango down the monitization path.

- Wil Wheaton

Got Grungey First

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 16:12 
Look, I'll leave you clutching your slippery slope theory. You've made it very clear you aren't going to change your opinion, so I'll leave it at that.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 18:45 
I'm strongly in favor of it. I was happy beyond happy to see BDCraft as one of the texture packs shown in the article. I also want to support BDCraft, as it is the preferred texture pack for my wife and I.

Without rooting your devices or hacking the MC Windows 10, how is "modding" done LEGALLY? How do I do texture packs on my copy of MCPE without getting seriously involved in the process? This is an opportunity for me to enjoy the things I enjoy with the JAVA edition in a way far easier and more simple than the effort I have to use with MC-Java.

I'm running a server. I've had to support friends and family with installing resource packs, OptiFine, LiteLoader. Personal friends and family. The people you don't say, "Stuupid n00b, look it up on Google!" This is NOT what I told my wife when she asked how to do this. Calling her a Stuupid n00b" earns me a night out on the patio without a blanket in the great NorthWet United States.

I've been dealing with "Stuupid n00b" issues on a very small private server for 18 months. Realms is starting to look seriously nice. NOT having to deal with Optifine/ LiteLoader is looking pretty good. I'm not ready to abandoned MC-Java yet, I still consider it my "home" game. But MCPE is getting there. Community add-ons and mods through the store seem to me the only reasonable way to get this to work with the simplicity and scale that will let my wife and friends be able to enjoy the game with me without me having to do the support I have had to do with MC-Java.

So yeah... I'm in support of this move.