How would one override a model from a resource pack?

Topics regarding PureBDcraft, the HD cartoony resourcepack for Minecraft Java Edition.
3 Posts

Post 03 Sep 2016, 04:52

Hey guys.

So I have a server specific resource pack which is designed to work with the official releases of BDcraft.

Our players are instructed to install our server resource pack above bdcraft in their resource pack list.

The issue is, some of the items in bdcraft have 3d models attached to them. I'd like our pack to have a 2d texture for an item, yet no matter what, if I include a 2d texture, the official BDCraft 3d model file will take priority.

How would I change this? Can a resource pack "null" a file from a resource pack below it in the resource pack list? Is there any other workaround? It's not like we can host a modified bdcraft, so there must be a way to do it.
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
Got Grungey First
385 Posts

Post 03 Sep 2016, 11:43

To make an item use the vanilla model, you would need to copy the vanilla model from the version's .jar, and put that in your pack. You would need to make sure it matched the MC version you're using. For example, if I wanted to override the nether star model in 1.10.2, I would open (in WinRAR)

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\versions\1.10.2\1.10.2.jar
and navigate to

assets\minecraft\models\item
After that, I would copy nether_star.json, and place it in my server pack.

(Obviously you'd then need to include the 2D textures that you're trying to make work)
3 Posts

Post 03 Sep 2016, 20:52

EskiMojo14 wrote:
To make an item use the vanilla model, you would need to copy the vanilla model from the version's .jar, and put that in your pack. You would need to make sure it matched the MC version you're using. For example, if I wanted to override the nether star model in 1.10.2, I would open (in WinRAR)

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\versions\1.10.2\1.10.2.jar
and navigate to

assets\minecraft\models\item
After that, I would copy nether_star.json, and place it in my server pack.

(Obviously you'd then need to include the 2D textures that you're trying to make work)
That solved all my problems. I had no idea there were 2D model files for every single thing in the default Jar. Thank you very much.
Got Grungey First
385 Posts

Post 03 Sep 2016, 21:00

No problem :)