Howto: Replace the Minecraft client icons with custom ones

Share things or chat about other subjects that don't fit in to the other forums.
24 Posts

Post 08 Jul 2013, 19:08

Hey,

I just want to share this with you. :)
If you're similar minded like me, you sure want to adapt the Icon of the Minecraft launcher to a PureBDcraft one, to complement the look and feel of the menus and the game.
You can easily change the Icon of the Minecraft launcher shortcut by right-clicking it, Properties, select different Icon, etc... Various icons are available for download from https://bdcraft.net/minecraft-icons. I won't get into detail how to do this, you should be able to figure it out by yourself if you don't already know how to do this. :P

I did't want to stop there, i wanted to change the Icon of the actual game client from this:

to this: 8)

As it turned out, this is pretty simple and straightforward. You don't even have to alter the client itself.
The icons we want to change are located at .minecraft\assets\icons, they are named icon_32x32.png and icon_16x16.png.

You have to replace these with your custom icons in png format and the correct dimensions.
I made a zip file with three icon sets, based on Sphax' Rune, Grass and Craftingtable icons.
Included in the archive are written instructions and the original client icons, in case you mess something up.

Let me know if you like this and if you could follow my instructions ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
BDcraft Admin
578 Posts

Post 09 Jul 2013, 08:56

Very nice and useful tutorial. :)
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Have you tried Cubik?
24 Posts

Post 09 Jul 2013, 23:02

Thank you! :)

I wish it would be that easy to change the launcher (launcher.jar) icon and the icon for the launcher-launcher (-> updater, Minecraft.exe, don't know how to call it..), too.
But those are embedded in the .exe and .jar files of these programs, and making the launcher.jar read-only, which is necessary to prevent the updater from 'updating' the modified launcher.jar and therefore reversing my changes, does produce an error state in the updater.. :-/
10 Posts

Post 22 Jul 2013, 20:28

I like it so much I deleted the shortcuts from my desktop. Thanks :P
"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
1 Post

Post 14 Nov 2013, 20:31

Also You have to go into properties of each image and set them as "Read only"
1 Post

Post 28 Jan 2015, 20:28

When I go onto .minecraft\assets, it doesn't show icons on it
1 Post

Post 15 May 2015, 14:44

How is this done on a mac... assets has no folder called Icons