Sphax texture pack massively decreases performance

General help with our resourcepacks, our website, or Minecraft - including mods.
11 Posts

Post 07 May 2017, 18:11

Hey bdcraft community

I've a serious issue. I'm playing resonant rise 3 (so over 200 mods), usually with the 64x sphax pack. I wanted to try a better one, since I had over 200 fps I thought it wouldn't be much of an issue. But I was so wrong. When I tried with a 128x resource pack I dropped to around 20 fps. Is there a specific reason for this? I'm allocating about 8 Gb RAM to minecraft.
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
BDcraft Web Admin
6590 Posts

Post 07 May 2017, 19:26 

You're rendering everything in higher detail (4x as many pixels), so yes, just like any game your FPS will suffer when using a higher resolution pack and it's not like Minecraft is a particularly efficient game anyway.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
11 Posts

Post 08 May 2017, 16:45

Still, it's weird. I think I should be able to run it with my current desktop. So it's Minecraft being the issue?
91 Posts

Post 13 May 2018, 03:43

I usually run 64x textures instead of 128x if I'm running more than five mod patches, and I allocate 16GB to Minecraft. The game just isn't really set up to use such huge textures efficiently, even with OptiFine and/or other FPS boosting mods. That's actually one of the few things "Bedrock Edition" actually does far better than the Java edition.