Gravity Gun

Archive of patch requests that have been completed or locked for various other reasons.
Note: This forum is visibly hidden from users, but is still searchable and readable.
3 Posts

Post 12 Oct 2013, 17:53

hello, is there a 32x patch for gravity gun mod, ive found 64x and 128x, but not 32x, could someone help me with this please?

https://bdcraft.net/forum/64x-gravity-gun
Last edited by Aedaeum on 28 Nov 2013, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added old forum post as reference
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
39 Posts

Post 28 Nov 2013, 03:34

Seconded. Would appreciate this in 128x for 1.6.4
thanks

Portalgun too of course. They essentially go together.
19 Posts

Post 28 Nov 2013, 10:09

Recon wrote:
Seconded. Would appreciate this in 128x for 1.6.4
thanks

Portalgun too of course. They essentially go together.
You can try using the 1.5.2 patch. i dont think there's something new added on 1.6.4 gravity gun mod.
acoulton2013 wrote:
hello, is there a 32x patch for gravity gun mod, ive found 64x and 128x, but not 32x, could someone help me with this please?

https://bdcraft.net/forum/64x-gravity-gun
i got u :) (its for 1.5.2)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
39 Posts

Post 28 Nov 2013, 15:18

Isn't the file format entirely different for textures in 1.6? If that's the case, doesn't it mean the existing textures for 1.5.2 won't work for 1.6.4? I have no idea how it works under the hood. Is there a writeup somewhere on how this works?
25 Posts

Post 30 Nov 2013, 03:11

Recon wrote:
Isn't the file format entirely different for textures in 1.6? If that's the case, doesn't it mean the existing textures for 1.5.2 won't work for 1.6.4? I have no idea how it works under the hood. Is there a writeup somewhere on how this works?
Essentially, you open the mod itself. Root through it until you find the location of the textures (found in the assets directory in the mod zip). You then take the sphax textures and "mirror" the directory structure of that in the mod.

In 1.5 Mojang introduced resource packs. This replaces the textures folder. This allows for the addition of modded sounds etc.

Ultimately what it means to the end user is greater performance...in that each of the textures are "unstitched" meaning instead of loading one massive 10MB file of textures with every block (when you may only be using one). It now only loads the exact texture you need.

The PITA in the move to the new system was unstitching the hundreds of textures in one file and re-mapping each one to the corresponding file in the mod.

Near as I can tell Gravity Gun is STILL missing some model textures and the ones out there are mapped all wrong. This is my compilation but it is incomplete!

MC 1.6.X Gravity Gun
BDcraft Web Admin
6590 Posts

Post 30 Nov 2013, 03:13

As nice as it was to think that unstitching improved performance, it didn't. At least not how Mojang implemented it.

It still pulls in a lot of textures straight away, but now you have the overhead of each and every file having to also have it's own header information.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
Former Staff
1033 Posts

Post 30 Nov 2013, 07:36

Just to add to what HanFox said, every texture associated with the mod that is being loaded into Minecraft, is being loaded into memory. If the textures were not loaded ahead of time, there would be serious lag in Minecraft every time you opened a GUI or crafted a block/item.

This also relates to the reason we run out of memory before Minecraft starts; we use 128x or higher resolution packs, without enough RAM allocated, then we get the nice convenient message "Out of memory". This would be annoying if during the process of crafting an item or block, Minecraft ran out of memory, which would happen with on-the-fly loading of textures.
39 Posts

Post 30 Nov 2013, 16:20

What I've never understood is how you can have a gigabyte of memory on your graphics card, and 8gb of memory on the pc itself, and it can be brought to its knees by a 135MB texture pack.
Former Staff
1033 Posts

Post 30 Nov 2013, 16:23

Haha, blame Java. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I believe it has to do with garbage collection and the textures in memory I think are uncompressed (byte-form).