[512x - 32x] Mystcraft [MC1.5 - 1.7 & 1.12]

Post a new thread here if you've made a BDcraft styled complete patch to fully support a Minecraft mod.
BDcraft Web Admin
6592 Posts

Post 03 Nov 2012, 16:28

Mystcraft is a dimension centered mod based on the Myst game and book. You craft descriptive books which link to other dimensions dont forget to bring an overworld link book or things can get hairy

Downloads

for MC1.12
Show

for MC1.7
Show

for MC1.6
Show

for MC1.5
Show

Preview

Show

Changelog

Show
Version: 0.13.4.03 2018-06-20
*Updated: MC1.12 downloads to cover everything

Version: 0.13.4.03 2018-06-12
#Added: MC1.12 downloads

Version: 0.11.8.00 2015-05-10
#Added: folder_filled item

Version: 0.11.1.00 2015-03-25
#Added: booster, folder, portfolio, wrapper items and scrollbar, tradeshop GUI

Version: 0.10.15.00 2014-06-15
#Added: inkwell, binder, linkmodifier models
*Updated: Book GUIs (can't say I'm happy with the cover, but it'll do)
*Tweaked: The book items slightly
-Removed: Alternative crystals

Version: 0.10.14.01 2014-05-14
*Version Bump: For MC1.7

Version: 0.10.12.01
#Added: Writing Desk model
#Added: Writing Desk extension item
*Updated: Writing Desk item, inkvial item and inkmask

Version: 0.10.10.00
#First proper full release
*Tweaked lots of textures which were already nearly done

Credits

Sparkst3r, Akaisama & Slowpoke101 for starting the patch
NintendoFan for the books which I tweaked slightly and the ink mixer and book binder
CadenDonuts for the books which I tweaked slightly
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
44 Posts

Post 25 Jul 2013, 15:52

I don't suppose anyone would like to take a stab at the Ink Mixer? The unlinked book was easy enough to just desaturate the linked book. I'm great at assembling textures and copy-pasta, but original graphics work? Not so much.
Supporter
286 Posts

Post 25 Jul 2013, 20:13

plowmanplow wrote:
I don't suppose anyone would like to take a stab at the Ink Mixer? The unlinked book was easy enough to just desaturate the linked book. I'm great at assembling textures and copy-pasta, but original graphics work? Not so much.
i already am updating the patch for myself a bit. tell me if anyone wants it ;)
:D
19 Posts

Post 25 Jul 2013, 21:29

Wants it please Mr Nintendo!
Supporter
286 Posts

Post 26 Jul 2013, 00:35

here is my unedited folder in a zip!
https://goo.gl/Bv6HTa
(warning: not resized and very derpy)
(also not tested)
19 Posts

Post 26 Jul 2013, 04:48

NintendoFan37 wrote:
(also not tested)

Tyvm :)
Supporter
286 Posts

Post 26 Jul 2013, 12:10

pr4v wrote:
NintendoFan37 wrote:
(also not tested)
Tyvm :)
can you give me some feedback on how to improve please?
19 Posts

Post 26 Jul 2013, 17:35

Going through the zip now, I downloaded it yesterday but wasn't able to look at it.

Just looking at things that I can see differ from the older mystcraft patch.

bookui_cover isn't changed, could maybe do with one of those sphaxy angular shadow things in a bottom corner and some stitching or embossed sphax logo or something, doesn't need much from the default to make it fit, not sure where the texture is used though so it might not be important.

I really like the inkmixer ui, I'm not sure exactly what the thing in the middle is meant to be even in the default one (a little shallow bowl of ink?) but your version portrays it fine. If it IS meant to be a bowl I guess it could be given some depth with shadows while 'empty'?

The book icon fits fine with the others, personally not a fan of them saying 'PureBDCraft' on the front, would prefer sphax logo or just random runes or something (fits with the entity version better), but they work fine.

portal looks good, need to test in game though for animation obviously :)

I really like the SPLAT on the top of the ink mixer, looks really good :) could give a shiny illusion of the pentagon from your gui underneath I guess to make it look like it splatted all over it but it might be too much detail, looks good as is :)

Bookbinder looks really good too, maybe the un-shaped leather texture could be used under the scroll and book too since it's using leather to make the books, or hung on the sides or something?

Think that's all of it :) very nice overall I thought, thanks :)

- I had a go at doing an example of what I mean with the books btw, had difficulty with perspective and I didn't know how to make the rune look like it was 'in' the leather so I just pasted the standard one on and tried to make the shadow go over it:
72 Posts

Post 27 Jul 2013, 17:55

NintendoFan37 wrote:
(also not tested)
NintendoFan37? I hope you realize that you're nothing less than a gentleman and a scholar for organizing your upload the way you did: including the .psd files and originals alongside the Sphax textures---while probably unfeasible for larger patches for mods like Tinker's Construct---is perfect here, because it lets us amateur texture "tweakers"---with our cuts & pastes and our recolorings and---of course---our blending modes---put our meager skills to full use.

"Unedited"? "Very derpy"? Please, false modesty does not suit someone with such impeccable taste in textures and video game consoles. Thanks not only for your work on this, but in presenting it in a way that makes standing on your shoulders that much easier!
pr4v wrote:
I really like the inkmixer ui, I'm not sure exactly what the thing in the middle is meant to be even in the default one (a little shallow bowl of ink?) but your version portrays it fine. If it IS meant to be a bowl I guess it could be given some depth with shadows while 'empty'?
Yeah, I suspect it's a very wide, very shallow bowl of ink; in my head it's a soft depression in the table, about a half-meter wide and maybe an inch deep at the center (at most). The kind you'd sprinkle some gold dust in and then swirl around with a big stick.
pr4v wrote:
I really like the SPLAT on the top of the ink mixer, looks really good :) could give a shiny illusion of the pentagon from your gui underneath I guess to make it look like it splatted all over it but it might be too much detail, looks good as is :)
Agree with "looks great as it is", but we're talking textures here and it's all about the nitpicks! Keeping with my "interpretation" of what the ink mixer looks like from above, I agree that duplicating the pentagonal ink mixer shape on the top would capture the feel of the ink mixer GUI (keeping the white tablecloth beneath it, with a few spill-overs in the form of black splatter).
pr4v wrote:
I had a go at doing an example of what I mean with the books btw, had difficulty with perspective and I didn't know how to make the rune look like it was 'in' the leather so I just pasted the standard one on and tried to make the shadow go over it:
I think the key is to make the top and bottom edges of the rune parallel to the top and bottom of the book cover, probably with Skew, maybe Warp, both under Edit --> Transform. That should give you the appropriate perspective. The shadow looks great, you definitely succeeded there, and I love the addition of the rune in general: A lot of mods are adding books nowadays (Tinker's Construct, Ars Magica, ThaumCraft), so finding ways to distinguish them between mods is becoming really important.

Edit: In terms of making the rune look like a depression into the book cover, I think it might be a matter of getting the lighting right: The shadows on the book make the light look like it's coming from the ... er, this is harder to interpret than I thought it would be ... I suppose from the front, slightly to the top right, as if from over the viewer's right shoulder? If so, flipping the rune around so its darker edges are at the top side and the right side (making it upside-down, but I think that will still look good) might make it appear sunken in, instead of popping out. But again, this is just being perfectionist, it really looks great (not to mention there's nothing wrong with the rune popping out, it looks like a plaque affixed to the front of the book).

Great work, both of you! Thanks for making my game all the more pretty!

-- 27 Jul 2013, 15:37 --

Here's my attempt at the Agebook; I actually went into it just trying to do what I recommended in the above post, but then I got lost in hyperfocus and spent an hour cobbling together various parts of the existing textures into something new. It might be a bit "busy" for some peoples' tastes, but I'm happy with it!

Show
Amateur dinosaur hunter and extreme weather enthusiast, whose interests include spoken mime, armchair parkour, tactical gaslighting, conspicuous ninjutsu and Schröedinger's pentameter—of which this sentence may or may not be an example.​
Supporter
286 Posts

Post 28 Jul 2013, 00:46

Eunomiac wrote:
Show
NintendoFan37 wrote:
(also not tested)
NintendoFan37? I hope you realize that you're nothing less than a gentleman and a scholar for organizing your upload the way you did: including the .psd files and originals alongside the Sphax textures---while probably unfeasible for larger patches for mods like Tinker's Construct---is perfect here, because it lets us amateur texture "tweakers"---with our cuts & pastes and our recolorings and---of course---our blending modes---put our meager skills to full use.

"Unedited"? "Very derpy"? Please, false modesty does not suit someone with such impeccable taste in textures and video game consoles. Thanks not only for your work on this, but in presenting it in a way that makes standing on your shoulders that much easier!
pr4v wrote:
Yeah, I suspect it's a very wide, very shallow bowl of ink; in my head it's a soft depression in the table, about a half-meter wide and maybe an inch deep at the center (at most). The kind you'd sprinkle some gold dust in and then swirl around with a big stick.
pr4v wrote:
Agree with "looks great as it is", but we're talking textures here and it's all about the nitpicks! Keeping with my "interpretation" of what the ink mixer looks like from above, I agree that duplicating the pentagonal ink mixer shape on the top would capture the feel of the ink mixer GUI (keeping the white tablecloth beneath it, with a few spill-overs in the form of black splatter).
pr4v wrote:
I had a go at doing an example of what I mean with the books btw, had difficulty with perspective and I didn't know how to make the rune look like it was 'in' the leather so I just pasted the standard one on and tried to make the shadow go over it:
I think the key is to make the top and bottom edges of the rune parallel to the top and bottom of the book cover, probably with Skew, maybe Warp, both under Edit --> Transform. That should give you the appropriate perspective. The shadow looks great, you definitely succeeded there, and I love the addition of the rune in general: A lot of mods are adding books nowadays (Tinker's Construct, Ars Magica, ThaumCraft), so finding ways to distinguish them between mods is becoming really important.

Edit: In terms of making the rune look like a depression into the book cover, I think it might be a matter of getting the lighting right: The shadows on the book make the light look like it's coming from the ... er, this is harder to interpret than I thought it would be ... I suppose from the front, slightly to the top right, as if from over the viewer's right shoulder? If so, flipping the rune around so its darker edges are at the top side and the right side (making it upside-down, but I think that will still look good) might make it appear sunken in, instead of popping out. But again, this is just being perfectionist, it really looks great (not to mention there's nothing wrong with the rune popping out, it looks like a plaque affixed to the front of the book).

Great work, both of you! Thanks for making my game all the more pretty!

-- 27 Jul 2013, 15:37 --

Here's my attempt at the Agebook; I actually went into it just trying to do what I recommended in the above post, but then I got lost in hyperfocus and spent an hour cobbling together various parts of the existing textures into something new. It might be a bit "busy" for some peoples' tastes, but I'm happy with it!

Show
first of all, that first part made me cry

second, i really like the book, but when i finish making the symbols you might want to change it ;)
also, .psd please?

-- July 27th, 2013, 9:15 pm --

derp?
Show
agebook

linkbook

unlinked book
credit: caden for the base
me for idea