IMAGE(/img/cubik_banner.png)
The BDcraft forum has migrated.
You are currently browsing the Archived BDcraft Forum.
To post a new topic, comment or patch, let's go to the new forum: BDcraft Community Forums

(32x, 64x, 128x) Sphax PureBDCraft in the FTB Launcher.... with user patches if neccessary.

24 replies [Last post]
Ash19256's picture
Ash19256

Basically, I want to be able to use Sphax in ALL my builds, but because I do my builds in modded instances of Minecraft I need patches. The FTB Launcher supports automated TP download and installation, but the TP isn't there. Who else thinks this should be in the launcher with modpack support?

Comments

HanFox's picture
HanFox
I am Forum Lead ModeratorI released a major BDcraft patchI love galleriesI searched for an answer myselfThe Cake is a lieI explored bdcraft websiteI like to comment everythingI love to post here

It's against the license to redistribute the base texture pack. I don't see why FTB should get special privileges as there is nothing special about FTB (permissions don't make it special it apparently has just made it arrogant).

Also, none of the actual mod patch designers want their work in the FTB launcher anyway.

I would like to know Sphax's official stance, but I'd be a little ashamed that so many people get told no just for FTB to be told yes.

IMAGE(http://hanfox.co.uk/gsword.png) BDcraft forum Moderator ~ Aedaeum: *puts on a pink skirt and holds up his pom poms* "Go! HanFox Go!" [link=https://twitter.com/HanPrower][img]http://hanfox.co.uk/t.pn

jakeytaylor's picture
jakeytaylor
I explored bdcraft websiteI like to comment everything

Hello!
I'm admin of the FTB BDCraft Mod Pack Patch (which you can find here. I agree with Han, there are several people/groups involved in this:
1. Sphax Himself: He has already stated he does not want his pack redistributed.
2. The mod TP patch creators: It's their work in there also so they may decide if they want it to be under a non adfly link.
3. Slowpoke and the FTB team: Slowpoke stated in a livestream the other day that he would be happy to incorporate BDCraft and the mod TP patches into the launcher. Only he's not able to under the BDCraft License thingamagigabob.
4. TO an extent, me: I don't make money out of the Mod Pack Patch but if it were incorparated into the launcher, there would be two steps. 1, I still compile the mod pack patch and send it to the FTB Team for combining. 2. A member of the FTB team takes control over it. both of these options are fine as I don't mind continuing but f someone more official was doing it then that would also be fine.

Anyway that's my contribution to the discussion. Feel free to disagree and argue Happy

I ship LemmingCat!

Sphax's picture
Sphax
I am the AdministratorI released a major BDcraft patchI love galleriesI searched for an answer myselfThe Cake is a lieI explored bdcraft websiteI like to comment everythingI love to post here

jakeytaylor: This is a very nice contribution. And it allows me to react point by point:

1) The license I chosen clearly states that no one (except me) can distribute my work (except by using original links or by redirecting to bdcraft.net). By extension FTB can't redistribute my work without my agreement.

2) Most of the MOD TP patch creators are using my work in their patch. By extension of the BDcraft license which still applies, they are not allowed to use an adfly link (or monetize their patch). If PureBDcraft textures are not used at all in a patch but is released here, they are not authorized too.

3) I like FTB and their team members and I would be happy to know how we all could work together. Winking

4) According to the BDcraft license and the special authorizations for Mod packs patch (here), you can redistribute the patch only if you have the authorization of ALL the involved artists.

Have you tried Cubik? That's the first powerful and easy to use tool for 3D Modeling Meshes with some Cubes and Planes which can export for Minecraft ResourcePacks and Wavefront OBJ. Winking

HanFox's picture
HanFox
I am Forum Lead ModeratorI released a major BDcraft patchI love galleriesI searched for an answer myselfThe Cake is a lieI explored bdcraft websiteI like to comment everythingI love to post here

Sphax, well it's already been discussed - without you oddly - that just the addon would be available via the FTB launcher with a link to the BDcraft website.

However, in that discussion all of the major mod addon authors such as myself, CadenDonuts, pcmaster160 and Timmie suggested we'd not want it on there.

Slowpoke asked SPARKST3R to put the addon patch together which cuts jaketaylor out of the loop entirely which again I feel is a bit cruel considering without jaketaylor there'd be no addon in it's current state.

Regardless, I see no difficulty in FTB just stating that the patch is available at a link on the forum. It just means the FTB users have to do a few more clicks and drag/drops instead of being so lazy just to click "Download" with no idea where the work has come from (which is my main gripe with modpacks).

IMAGE(http://hanfox.co.uk/gsword.png) BDcraft forum Moderator ~ Aedaeum: *puts on a pink skirt and holds up his pom poms* "Go! HanFox Go!" [link=https://twitter.com/HanPrower][img]http://hanfox.co.uk/t.pn

Sphax's picture
Sphax
I am the AdministratorI released a major BDcraft patchI love galleriesI searched for an answer myselfThe Cake is a lieI explored bdcraft websiteI like to comment everythingI love to post here

Slowpoke didn't come to me recently about PureBDcraft...

However about what you said, currently, the best solution would be to link :
1) to the BDcraft download page for the main texturepack
2) to the BDcraft forum thread for the FTB patch.

It's not so difficult for the end users... And it's possible to make a small software to combine&install the result easily...

A Mod patch for PureBDcraft (based on PureBDcraft textures) is the property of BDcraft.net AND the main author of the patch.
A Mods Pack patch is the property of BDcraft.net AND ALL the authors involved in the result.

That means to redistribute a Mods Pack, that would require the authorization of ALL the involved authors (and BDcraft.net).

Have you tried Cubik? That's the first powerful and easy to use tool for 3D Modeling Meshes with some Cubes and Planes which can export for Minecraft ResourcePacks and Wavefront OBJ. Winking

SPARKST3R's picture
SPARKST3R
I released a major BDcraft patchI am a Top ContributorI searched for an answer myselfThe Cake is a lieI explored bdcraft websiteI like to comment everythingI love to post here

Why cant we all get along in this? I know Sphax has already stated that the base pack is not to be redistributed.
But why cant all the patch creators get along and get a pack on the Launcher. In the end its only hurting users, well yes not much it just involves a few more clicks but still.
We will effectively be using Jake's pack with some extra mods like Xycraft, Thaumcraft and the other newer mods. Which Jake will most likely add in the future anyway.
Jake keeps his thread, and the download gets put on the launcher. A link could be put on the launcher to the thread. So Jake's work doesnt get wasted.
Slowpoke did ask me to put this together because I regualared his stream and I make patches, maybe not many and i dont have that much experience doing it but im still part of this.
But we're part of a team and i agree its not right to leave somone out because someone else has been asked to do the same job.
Since I have contact with Slow and the rest of the FTB and all of you. Im being used as a messenger of sorts to work something out.

Slow really likes this texture pack he says it would be shame if he couldnt have it on the launcher even if it was just an addon pack.
Or at a stretch, have a link to all the download pages in the launcher.

Im also known as Duck5200 in some far reaches of the internetamabob
Urm MANGOES

jakeytaylor's picture
jakeytaylor
I explored bdcraft websiteI like to comment everything

HEAR HEAR SPARKST3R!
I thoroughly agree with all of what you just said Happy
Surely t would highly benefit BDCraft if it was on the launcher as users who find it for the first time on FTB could download it for vanilla as well. Just a thought.

I ship LemmingCat!

SPARKST3R's picture
SPARKST3R
I released a major BDcraft patchI am a Top ContributorI searched for an answer myselfThe Cake is a lieI explored bdcraft websiteI like to comment everythingI love to post here

jakeytaylor wrote:
HEAR HEAR SPARKST3R!
Surely t would highly benefit BDCraft if it was on the launcher as users who find it for the first time on FTB could download it for vanilla as well. Just a thought.

Im just going to wait on Hanfox's say on this. It's atleast a compromise

Urm MANGOES

HanFox's picture
HanFox

SPARKST3R wrote:
jakeytaylor wrote:
HEAR HEAR SPARKST3R!

As Sphax has already stated you need everyone's permission (whereas before I wasn't completely aware it was mandatory). The majority of people who have done patches have said no.

The compromise is that Slowpoke make it so if it's in the launcher it just opens jaketaylor's thread in the user's browser.

That way, everyone is aware it was jaketaylor, everyone is aware of the credits that are attributed in jaketaylor's patch and no one thinks that FTB put the patch together like I imagine they do with the Soartex one that is in there currently.

SPARKST3R's picture
SPARKST3R

HanFox wrote:
SPARKST3R wrote:
jakeytaylor wrote:
HEAR HEAR SPARKST3R!

As Sphax has already stated you need everyone's permission (whereas before I wasn't completely aware it was mandatory). The majority of people who have done patches have said no.

The compromise is that Slowpoke make it so if it's in the launcher it just opens jaketaylor's thread in the user's browser.

That way, everyone is aware it was jaketaylor, everyone is aware of the credits that are attributed in jaketaylor's patch and no one thinks that FTB put the patch together like I imagine they do with the Soartex one that is in there currently.

Ok Happy
Thats a fair compromise. A link to Jake's thread and a link to here to download the base pack ( http://bdcraft.net/download-purebdcraft-texturepack-for-minecraft )
I have already suggested this to slow and he said that it would be ok if we did it this way.
So is this how we will do it then?

Urm MANGOES