Giving Minecraft more RAMThere are a few things to keep in mind before you start:
- You need to have a 64bit OS and 64bit Java to use more than 2GB of RAM.
- When selecting your maximum RAM to give to Minecraft it can only be the max of what your system can handle AFTER taking in to account how much memory your Operating System requires.
- Typically the max will be 512MB to 1024MB less than your system's capacity.
- You shouldn't assign more RAM than Minecraft actually needs to run smoothly.
- e.g. if Minecraft will run fine with 3GB of RAM don't allocate 6GB just because you can.
- If you've assigned PermGen this is added on-top of the RAM you assign to Minecraft.
- e.g. if you assign 2GB of RAM to MC and 256MB of PermGen that = 2.25GB of RAM total.
- Note: Java 8 no longer has PermGen at all.
Linux users can type the following in to terminal and divide the result by 1,024,000 to convert it to GB:
Code: Select all
grep MemTotal /proc/meminfo
The Minecraft LauncherAs with any of the other custom launchers below this is a very easy setup.
Show New Launcher
- Open the Launcher and click the ≡ in the top right
- Click "Launch Options" and then enable "Advanced settings"
- Select the profile you want to change the settings for
- Enable "JVM arguments"
- Edit the part that says -Xmx2G to new setting e.g. -Xmx4G
- Click Save and then launch your game as normal
Show Old Launcher
- Right click your instance
- Select "Edit Instance" from the menu
- Check the "Memory" box
- Set "Minimum memory allocation" and "Maximum memory allocation" to desired limit
Feed the Beast, Technic, AT Launcher, VoidLauncherNote: All of this information was correct for each launcher at the time of writing.
Feed the BeastOpen the launcher > click Options > adjust the "RAM Maximum (MB)" slider:
TechnicOpen the launcher > click Options > adjust "Memory to allocate" dropdown:
ATLauncherOpen the launcher > click Settings > adjust "Memory/RAM" dropdown:
VoidLauncherOpen the launcher > click Options > uncheck "Let java decide optimal values." > specify "Max" RAM
If anything is confusing or unclear let me know and I'll try to expand and possibly add screenshot guides.
Also, if you have other tips & tricks or ways to achieve giving Minecraft more RAM (especially stable ones for Mac and *nix) let me know!
18 January, 2017: Added Minecraft New Launcher
29 September, 2015: Added note about not allocating more RAM than necessary
22 September, 2014: Added info about finding amount of RAM in system
08 August, 2014: Added some info about PermGen
15 June, 2014: Renamed Feed the Beast, Technic and AT Launchers to Feed the Beast, Technic, AT Launcher, VoidLauncher and added VoidLauncher
08 March, 2014: Updated Minecraft Launcher image
26 October, 2013: Renamed Feed the Beast and Technic Launchers to Feed the Beast, Technic and AT Launchers and added ATLauncher
2nd July, 2013: Added MC Launcher section