[128x - 32x] GeoStrata [MC1.6]

Post a new thread here if you've made a BDcraft styled complete patch to fully support a Minecraft mod.
196 Posts

Post 20 Jan 2014, 03:22

GeoStrata is a small mod to diversify underground world generation, making mining and caves more interesting, while simultaneously adding many aesthetic and functional building materials.
Its basic premise is that it adds a bunch of real-world rock types which overwrite 10-20% of vanilla stone. These rocks generate at realistic depths, and in realistic biomes (for example, shale and limestone, being silt/mud rocks, spawn more often in oceans, and cannot spawn in deserts).
GeoStrata cobble can be used as vanilla cobble for use in properly-coded recipes.

Downloads

for MC1.6.4

Preview

Show

Changelog

Show
2014-04-13 Added new Pendants, enhanced Pendants, Seeds. in V19
2014-03-09 Added all new blocks in V18 (Blocks e,f,i,r & t), added guardian block, added clusters.
Recolored Schist, Shale, Slate & hornfel
2014-01-19 Original release
2014-01-20 Added Brewer
2014-01-30 Added Opal
2014-01-30 Finished release (128x & 64x)

Credits

Shards recolored from Thaumcraft 3 Aspects
Basalt from Artifice
GrumpyPirate - Used his original textures form Chisel for the 2 engraved blocks and the star patternblock.
Last edited by BonaireDreams on 14 Apr 2014, 02:58, edited 9 times in total.
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
196 Posts

Post 20 Jan 2014, 03:25

First first full attempt at a mod patch. All comments/criticisms appreciated. Most of the textures I am really happy with and they look great in game on my builds. Some could use a bit of tweaking. I use a different texture for my world gen marble which I have included here. It looks really nice when you find a vein of it underground and also in marble structures. I can add the one used by Project Red as an Alt.

Will be working on lamps and crystals today but they are a whole new challenge for me. Will see what I can do. :)
Last edited by HanFox on 20 Jan 2014, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unmerged your reply from the OP in order to keep timeline intact.
238 Posts

Post 20 Jan 2014, 06:14

seems interesting :D
34 Posts

Post 20 Jan 2014, 18:00

This is looking FANTASTIC! Very excited. Thanks, BonaireDreams!
196 Posts

Post 20 Jan 2014, 18:12

I wanted to complete this patch as its part of FTB Monster and I was tired of seeing 16 bit stone all around my nice sphaxy stone. :)

So I spent several hours yesterday working n the crystals but do not seem able to make any changes to them. That said, they actually look pretty good and the lamps seem to pull their base from the existing stoneslab and obsidian textures.

Any change I made to the crystal was never reflected in game. I even tried replacing he crystal_red.png with a completely different file and it still showed the normal crystal in game. Maybe one of the texturing pros could take a quick look and see if these items are not actually using the textures at all but are referencing the mod files to generate the texture? If someone can help figure out the first crystal and lamp I will gladly duplicate that over the rest. (hint hint Hanfox, please) :)
BDcraft Web Admin
6614 Posts

Post 20 Jan 2014, 18:21

BonaireDreams wrote:
Any change I made to the crystal was never reflected in game. I even tried replacing he crystal_red.png with a completely different file and it still showed the normal crystal in game. Maybe one of the texturing pros could take a quick look and see if these items are not actually using the textures at all but are referencing the mod files to generate the texture? If someone can help figure out the first crystal and lamp I will gladly duplicate that over the rest. (hint hint HanFox, please) :)
It's hard to tell as you haven't provided what you tried to do with the crystals in your zip.

Suffice it to say, if after replacing all the crystal files, and you're 100% sure they're named correctly and there definitely isn't any other file that it could be using instead, it's likely hard-coded (or badly coded) in the mod to refer directly to the mod files instead of relatively to the resourcepack files.

Contact the mod author and see if he made a mistake.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
196 Posts

Post 20 Jan 2014, 18:38

HanFox wrote:
It's hard to tell as you haven't provided what you tried to do with the crystals in your zip.

Suffice it to say, if after replacing all the crystal files, and you're 100% sure they're named correctly and there definitely isn't any other file that it could be using instead, it's likely hard-coded (or badly coded) in the mod to refer directly to the mod files instead of relatively to the resourcepack files.

Contact the mod author and see if he made a mistake.
Thanks Hanfox, I never thought to contact the mod author, they are like the Gods to me. They must be worshipped but not addressed. lol

I just did another experiment. I pulled the assets folder from the mod to ensure there was not a new version that changed the filenames. Then I replaced both the red crystal and the red lamp png with a stone block. My results are in the screenshot below...they stayed with their default textures so it must be coded in the mod.

I did complete the brewer and added that to the download. This means the patch is complete except for the crystals and lamps, which do look ok, if the mod author says there is no way to change the texture. I will report back when I know more.

Show
Brewer, red; crystal, potion crystal, crystal lamp
Patch Creator
1498 Posts

Post 20 Jan 2014, 21:29

Bonaire I started this myself and the file you want to change is "crystal_outline" in the blocks folder. That will change the rendering of the crystals for you.
If anyone would like to take over any of my threads please contact me. I will continue to host what I have done but expect no further updates.
9 Posts

Post 21 Jan 2014, 07:25

This looks awesome! Very nicely done @BonaireDreams
196 Posts

Post 21 Jan 2014, 14:01

Novamanga wrote:
Bonaire I started this myself and the file you want to change is "crystal_outline" in the blocks folder. That will change the rendering of the crystals for you.
Hi Novamanga,

I heard back from Reika. He says all the crysatl_* and lamp_* are no longer used. Only the crystal.png which is all white is used to render the crystals. (Perhaps he meant crystal_outline, I'll look tonight when I am home) The shading is all done by the mod. I will attempt a crystal the next few days and see what I can do....