[READ FIRST|Java] Installation, Patching & Troubleshooting Guide

You need some technical assistance with our resourcepacks or website or general help with Minecraft, including mods.
BDcraft Web Admin
5410 Posts

Post 06 Oct 2013, 21:10 

About

This guide should walk you through the process of installing your textures and answer the big questions like: "Why is my Minecraft crashing after I install the textures?", "How do I install the 3D addon patches?" and "How do I add mod texture patches?". Please let me know if you feel any information is too vague or inconsistent and I will do my best to adjust it accordingly.

Texturepack Installation

Show
The easiest way to install the pack is as follows:
  1. Open Minecraft
  2. Then navigate to:
    • For MC v1.6 Options > Texture/Resource packs
    • For MC v1.4.7 and below the main screen > Texturepacks
  3. Click Open texture/resource pack folder
  4. Place the resourcepack zip in the folder that opens
  5. Select the pack from the Minecraft packs screen as described in the Selecting your Texturepack in Minecraft section below
Alternatively follow the guide below:
  1. Open Minecraft
  2. Pick a Minecraft version below.
  3. Place the resourcepack zip in the folder
  • MC v1.6 and higher
    • Find the folder named resourcepacks
  1. Goto your Minecraft Directory
  2. Pick a Minecraft version below.
  3. Place the resourcepack zip in the folder
  • MC v1.6 and higher
    • Find the folder named resourcepacks
  • MC v1.5.* and lower
    • Find the folder named texturepacks

Selecting your Texturepack in Minecraft

MC 1.7 and higher
Show
Download the main texture pack HERE

Click Options then Resource Packs

Hover over the texture pack you're going to use on the left pane and you'll notice an Arrow icon overlayed on the texture pack image. Click the Arrow to add your texture pack then click Done when the pack is added to the right pane, as shown below. You may have to wait a while for the textures to be applied, depending on the HD size and amount of textures being added.

If you've made it this far, it means you WIN!! Enjoy the wonderful HD textures provided by Sphax :)

MC 1.6 and lower
Show
Download the main texture pack HERE

Click Options then Resource Packs or Texture Packs as shown below.

Select the texture pack from the list as shown below, depending on your version. You may have to wait a little bit for it to finish applying the textures, then hit Done.

If you've made it this far, it means you WIN!! Enjoy the wonderful HD textures provided by Sphax :)

Adding BDcraft 3D Addons and Texture Patches

MC 1.7 and higher
Show
  1. Download the base textures HERE
  2. Download the texture patch(s) of your choice. For this example, I'll be using the 64x Extra Bees & Extra Trees and Forestry patches by HanFox.

Now that you have your patches downloaded, drop them into your Resource Packs Folder.

All that's left is to follow the image instructions below.

Enjoy the wonderful HD textures provided by Sphax :)

MC 1.6 and lower patching process
Show

Open the texture pack with 7zip or WinRAR.

Open the base Sphax texture pack (Left Image) and open the texture patch you want to use (Right Image). I'm using ExtrabiomesXL as an example texture patch. As shown below, I like to get them side by side (That's optional).

Click inside the texture patch archive and hit Ctrl + A on your keyboard to select all the contents within the archive. Not all patches have contents beyond an assets folder in MC 1.6. For those who still use MC 1.5, Ctrl + A is convenient for selecting everything in the archive.

Now click and drag one of the highlighted contents of your texture patch (in our case it's the assets folder) and drop it into the base Sphax texture archive. A confirmation similar to the one below should appear. Click Yes

Go ahead and confirm that the files merged, by opening up the folders that were copied and checking them against the texture patch archive. As you can see the extrabiomesxl was copied successfuly.

Click HERE to learn how to access your new textures in Minecraft.

Minecraft Root Directories

Show
Windows: %appdata%\.minecraft
Open the run dialogue with Windows Key + R

Mac OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft
Linux: ~/.minecraft
If you're using linux, you should be able to navigate to the above directory through the console/terminal.

Common Problems

Show
Using 512x and 256x Texture packs
You might be able to get away with running an un-modded Minecraft with these textures, but if you're using multiple mods, you will need the ability to give 6 - 8 gigabytes or more RAM to Minecraft. Read the next issue below, which addresses what happens if you don't give Minecraft enough RAM.

Minecraft defaults even after you selected your Texture Pack
What's happening is Minecraft doesn't have enough RAM to store the textures in memory, so it defaults. Mods are a big factor here. 128x textures with no mods, should run on 2 - 4 gigs of RAM, however if you're running a mod pack, useage can jump to 4 - 8 gigs in an instant or even more. This is all dependant on how many mods are installed. Since 128x is the recommended resolution, I felt it was necessary to use it as the test case instead of 64x - ~90% of users don't have issues running 64x.

White or Greyed-out textures being rendered
This is caued by Minecraft either running out of RAM or VideoRAM. If it's the latter you can't do anything about it, sadly.

Firstly try to assign more RAM to Minecraft. If you're running textures 128x or larger, try to use the 64x pack. If the 64x pack works, you know you need more RAM for the larger resolutions. For most users, 64x is the recommended version when using mods.

Blocks of the same kind that appear to have different shades (e.g. Stone, Ores, Sand, etc...)
When you have MCPatcher or Optifine installed, there's an option for "custom colors". Turning this off will prevent the same textures from getting different hues or tints on them.

When in doubt, MORE RAM
The main cause of Minecraft crashes after installing HD texture patches, is not enough RAM. If you're experiencing crashes or any other issues like the ones mentioned above, allocate/assign more RAM to Minecraft. We can't possibly stress this enough. Before posting in the Help Center about a patch crashing Minecraft, white/greyed-out textures, or defaulting, make sure you have more then enough RAM assigned/allocated to Minecraft.

If you do have plenty of RAM and still have issues it's likely you're running out of VideoRAM. If this is the case you'll need to use lower resolution textures.

Items/blocks missing textures and you don't know which mod it is?
Check out WAILA. As shown below, it shows you exactly what mod any item or block is from, in the world or NEI.

Flickering Textures when using Optifine
Go to Options > Video Settings > Performance and Turn "Fast Render" to Off.

Note: This may effect your FPS negatively.

Can't reset to default textures because Minecraft is crashing?
Open up your Minecraft Directory, then open the text file named options.
Top image - For MC 1.6 and lower, the field is named skin.
Bottom image - For MC 1.7 and higher, the field is named resourcePacks.
In the images below you'll notice line 18 is the line you need to change. Make sure you copy it exactly as it is, for your version of Minecraft.

Getting White Raster lines between blocks?
This is usually caused by a forced Anti-Aliasing (AA) setting and/or a forced Threaded Optimization setting for NVIDIA graphics cards. Most of the time this is an Optifine quirk because it has it's own AA and Multi-threaded optimizations, which is why it conflicts with forced NVIDIA settings.

Right click your desktop and click NVIDIA Control Panel as shown below.

On the left pane select Adjust image settings with preview, then click Use the advanced 3D image settings. Click Apply when you've done so.

Again, on the left pane, click Manage 3D Settings and make sure your settings match the ones in the images below. Click Apply when you've done so.

Rare Problems

Show
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
If you are recieving an error similar to the one below, then you need to update your OpenAL drivers. The posts HERE and HERE should explain the details.

Code: Select all

# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007feea2b6220, pid=18092, tid=17464
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [OpenAL64.dll+0x6220]

Installing the Sound and Music pack on MC1.6

Show
The music and sounds pack that are downloadable from the website are made for MC1.7. Between MC1.6 and MC1.7 there have been changes in the file structure within Minecraft.

So in order to get the packs to work on MC1.6 you need to do as such:
  • Extract the sound and/or music packs zips
    • Note: If you aren't installing both the sound and music packs you may not have all the folders outlined below.
  • Move files from "/assets/minecraft/sounds/music/game" to "/assets/minecraft/music".
    • Note: There is no menu music at all in MC1.6, so the menu folder can be deleted.
  • Move files from "/assets/minecraft/sounds/music/records" to "/assets/minecraft/records".
  • Rename folder "sounds" to "sound".
  • Pack the new structure in to your MC1.6 resourcepack.

Thread Changelog

Show
2019-05-21 @ 14:07 BST
  • Added Sounds/Music pack installation for MC1.6
2018-07-14 @ 20:50 PM
  • Reformatted thread for new website
2016-01-09 @ 12:40 AM
  • Rearranged thread slightly and added the easy way to install packs
2015-10-15 @ 10:30 AM
  • Added note about flickering textures when using Optifine
2015-04-07 @ 11:11 PM
  • Fixed more images
2015-02-05 @ 12:07 PM
  • Fixed some images and added title change for patches to include 3D Addons
2014-11-13 @ 12:40 PM
  • Added newb info about base texture pack inclusion
2014-10-02 @ 9:18 AM
  • Added Custom Color issue to Common Problems
2013-11-25 @ 1:54 PM
  • Added manually "reset to default textures" info to Common Problems.
2013-11-17 @ 6:41 PM
  • Added a new section "Rare Problems" to facilitate the rare error with old OpenAL drivers
  • Added WAILA info to Common Problems (req. by HanFox)
  • Added more spacing in Common Problems
2013-11-12 @ 3:39 PM
  • Added another common problem
  • Updated dependant sections
2013-10-07 @ 3:12 PM
  • Removed period from MAC root Minecraft directory (thanks to Llama Farmer)
  • Fixed anchor links to use full url path (prevent page reload)
2013-10-05 @ 8:14 PM
  • Added "White Raster" issue to "Common Problems" (req. by HanFox).
  • Added screen shot walkthrough of NVIDIA settings to help with the above issue.
2013-10-04 @ 3:40 PM
  • Added link to HanFox RAM tutorial in "Common Problems"
  • Fixed Minecraft capitalization *coughgrammarnazihanfoxcough*
  • Moved "Selecting your Texturepack in Minecraft"
  • Edited description for first release
  • Added more spacing between sections
  • Updated dropbox link
2013-10-03 @ 8:45 PM
  • Added Texture Patch instructions for MC 1.7 and higher.
  • Renamed "Mod Textures" to "Texture Patches"
2013-09-17 @ 8:40 PM
  • Added "Common Problems" section
  • Added guide text file for mods/admins to negate arbitrary post updates
  • Changed "Patching..." to "Adding Mods" section with 1.6 and 1.7 sub-sections
  • Fixed bold text issues
2013-09-16 @ 9:07 PM
  • Added animated gif images to TP selection
  • Made descriptions more concise in TP selection
  • Added "root" to Minecraft directory heading
2013-09-16 @ 8:29 PM
  • Added "Selecting your Texturepack in Minecraft" section for MC 1.7 and lower
2013-08-27 @ 6:15 PM
  • Added this changelog
  • Fixed missing description on how to drag n' drop from archive
  • Changed some verbiage
[/list]
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Patch Creator
270 Posts

Post 07 Oct 2013, 03:36

Great job on the tutorial! I'm sure it'll help a lot of users. One thing though (and I'm 90% sure it won't really matter, but perhaps it should be changed on the off-chance people have trouble), on Macs, the directory for Minecraft can be found at ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft, rather than ~/Library/Application Support/.minecraft. I highly doubt that people will really have any issues with that, but thought I should point it out in the unlikely event someone does.
Former Staff
1132 Posts

Post 07 Oct 2013, 10:05

Updated. I just used what the wiki said since I don't have a MAC for reference. Thanks :)
2 Posts

Post 25 Nov 2013, 20:14

yeah this didnt mention any of my problems

-- 25 Nov 2013, 20:14 --

i just want to be able to take the texture off but i can't cause the game doesnt get far enough to it to allow this
Former Staff
1132 Posts

Post 25 Nov 2013, 21:57

darkhawk wrote:yeah this didnt mention any of my problems

-- 25 Nov 2013, 20:14 --

i just want to be able to take the texture off but i can't cause the game doesnt get far enough to it to allow this
The easiest way to default the textures is to re-name the resource/texture pack zip. I will add this to common problems.

-- 25 Nov 2013, 13:57 --

I added info for resetting minecraft to default textures (the proper manual way)
1 Post

Post 10 Dec 2013, 01:17

Vanilla and FTB: Uleashed run fine with the texture pack but once I patch it for the mods, I get a black screen or crash. Please Help!

http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=N6EKAeFC
BDcraft Web Admin
5410 Posts

Post 10 Dec 2013, 01:19

@LegatusDragon:
2013-12-09 19:55:05 [INFO] [STDERR] Exception in thread "Minecraft main thread" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Direct buffer memory
You're running out of memory.

As the guide says:
When in doubt, MORE RAM
  • The main cause of Minecraft crashes after installing HD texture patches, is not enough RAM. If you're experiencing crashes or any other issues like the ones mentioned above, allocate/assign more RAM to Minecraft. We can't possibly stress this enough. Before posting in the Help Center about a patch crashing Minecraft, white/greyed-out textures, or defaulting, make sure you have more then enough RAM assigned/allocated to Minecraft.
2 Posts

Post 21 Mar 2014, 04:53

I've assigned 8G of ram to Minecraft and my furnace texture is still defaulting. I've read through this whole guide and I can't get it to work. I've double checked that I've installed everything correctly. I'm not using a modpack but I am using a couple of other mods. I'm not sure what to do. Please help. :(

-- 20 Mar 2014, 22:53 --
MagicUnicorn wrote:I've assigned 8G of ram to Minecraft and my furnace texture is still defaulting. I've read through this whole guide and I can't get it to work. I've double checked that I've installed everything correctly. I'm not using a modpack but I am using a couple of other mods. I'm not sure what to do. Please help. :(
Never mind, I was using an updated version of the mod but it was for the same version of minecraft and I just downloaded the first one I saw. Sorry! :D
4 Posts

Post 22 Jan 2015, 03:44

Hi all

I have followed these instructions that seem to point to a very simple way of combining texture packs but I am having issues with Copper, Tin and other Ore in my Tekkify.

The Mod pack is a direct down load using tekkit 2 and is unmodified version in picture.

Texture Pack added

Show

Copper in game

Show

What should I be looking for to fix this problem?

FabbMan
BDcraft Web Admin
5410 Posts

Post 22 Jan 2015, 04:51

WAILA tells you in your screenshot that the ore is from Thermal Foundation so you need to actually download the Thermal Foundation patch just like the Thermal Expansion thread told you.