I can't run 512 bit

General help with our resourcepacks, our website, or Minecraft - including mods.
Supporter
21 Posts

Post 27 Jul 2013, 16:23

Hi everyone my computer is a 8gb ram computer with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Graphics card and I have given Minecraft 6gb of ram to run and as well as java but I still can't run it, when I click on the 512 it just goes to the default texture pack if anyone knows what I can do it would be a real big help right now I can only run 256 and it runs at 100-200 fps and I use mcpatcher and I've tried optifine it still didn't work
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
BDcraft Web Admin
6620 Posts

Post 27 Jul 2013, 17:32

Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
Supporter
21 Posts

Post 28 Jul 2013, 17:41

I tried deleteing the clay file and deleted a lot of the mcpatcher folder and I'm not allowed to edit my vram because it nearly screwed over my computer I would like to ask sphax if he could find a way to make thr 512 resource pack smaller and still keep the look I can run 256 with like 100-300 fps I really don't understand why I can't run 512
BDcraft Admin
578 Posts

Post 28 Jul 2013, 18:50

onethirdparty wrote:
I tried deleteing the clay file and deleted a lot of the mcpatcher folder and I'm not allowed to edit my vram because it nearly screwed over my computer I would like to ask sphax if he could find a way to make thr 512 resource pack smaller and still keep the look I can run 256 with like 100-300 fps I really don't understand why I can't run 512
What are your specs?
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Have you tried Cubik?
Supporter
21 Posts

Post 28 Jul 2013, 22:59

8.00Gb of RAM
AMD A8-5500 with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.20 GHz
64 bit Operating System
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Graphics Card

-- 28 Jul 2013, 23:00 --

I also have a 64 bit java and run Windows 7 Home Prenium
Patch Contributor
64 Posts

Post 28 Jul 2013, 23:18

OneThirdParty, from the specs you have given, you may not be able to handle a 512x texture pack. I have an Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, 12GB RAM (8GB allocated to Minecraft), and a 3GHZ quad core processor, and I am only barely able to handle it. Then again I do play with a lot of mods which eat up more memory.
Recommendation 1: Configure your video card to render Java Graphics
Show
You may want to check and make sure your video card is actually rendering graphics for Java, by default it is not. More than likely your integrated AMD chip is rendering the graphics. To fix this go into the Nvidia control panel, then to Manage 3D settings, and then to program settings, then click add, and browse to your javaw.exe (by default this is in Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\)

If you are still running java 6 then replace jre7 with jre6. And if you are using the 32 bit version, first I highly recommend you get the 64-bit version instead (or in addition to), but otherwise it is in Program Files (x86) instead.

This is also the perfect point to make sure you are not running multiple java installations (sometimes the updater forgets to uninstall the old version)

Recommendation 2: Allocate less RAM
Show
When you allocate memory to Minecraft, you are only allocating the memory for the main Java process. Any additional processes that Minecraft calls on including additional Java processes are not factored into that number.

When running 512x on my computer the full 8GB allocated to Java was being used, plus an additional 1 GB in a secondary Java process, plus 1.5GB of Miscellaneous processes, plus the 1 GB my system uses by default, leaving only .5GB free. I once accidentally had a 1GB program running in the background when I started up Minecraft 512x ... and bad things happened. You may want to make sure this is not what is happening to you.

I would recommend lowering your allocated memory by 1GB, this will force Minecraft to make more hard-disk reads, which will lower FPS, but may allow your computer to load the 512x pack. If you are not sure this is the case or want to more precisely allocate your RAM, open up the task manager while running Minecraft with a 256x texture pack, go to the processes tab and subtract the amount of memory used by the leading javaw.exe from the memory being used overall, then round up to the nearest half Gigabyte, subtract this number from the amount of RAM you have total (you said 8GB), the resulting number is the MOST you want to allocate to Minecraft. Allocating anymore, may result in RAM conflicts.

Recommendation 3: Buy more RAM
Show
RAM is the cheapest and easiest way to improve the performance of your system. First check your owner's manual for what is compatible (for custom builds check the owner's manual of the mother board). If you have lost the owner's manual to some deep dark void, then simply look it up online. Buy the largest memory stick of the best memory type your computer can handle, as this will save you money in the long run, and if you can afford it, buy the memory in packs, as this will really save you money. Nearly any 64-bit system worth its tack can handle around 16GB of total RAM (think of all the RAM you could allocate to Minecraft, forget Twitter, it doesn't need it :p), your owner's manual will tell you if it can support more or less.

Hehe ... look at me ... converting my walls of text into spoilers :p Also I reserve the right to let Sphax or Hanfox call balderdash on any of the above information, they know more than me.

EDIT: I have the same problem when using 1.6.2, though if Minecraft is using VRAM and only VRAM since the update that would make sense as my system only has 4GB of VRAM (as does yours) ... Guess we'll have to wait until someone comes up with a way to switch it back to using regular RAM ... or buy new video cards (and I was hoping this one would last me 5 years :p)
Add *sarcasm* tags around everything I say. If that doesn't help *insane in the membrane* works even better. For example: *sarcasm* Mewcats go mew, thought you ought to know *sarcasm*
Supporter
21 Posts

Post 29 Jul 2013, 00:54

I tried your Nvidia control panel suggestion it didn't work for me and I've tried to every amount of ram 1-8 gb ram individialy none of them worked and I can't afford anything newer so Please sphax find a way to make your texturepacks use ram instead of vram it would really help or tell me another way that I can fix this without going into my bios
BDcraft Admin
578 Posts

Post 29 Jul 2013, 07:40

Onethireparty: I think your graphic card is old and doesn't have enough dedicated RAM (VRAM)
Have you tried Cubik?
Patch Contributor
64 Posts

Post 29 Jul 2013, 08:30

Hehe I was going to continue compiling and debugging a texturepack for FTB Unleashed, but I got derailed looking at video cards. You think an overclocked Nvidia GTX 660 with 3GB of dedicated VRAM, and unknown amount of Shared VRAM (currently it is 3GB, but I suspect it only goes to multiples of 2 for total VRAM, and I am also upgrading my ram to 16GB, so I am thinking it may give me 5GB of shared VRAM) will be enough to handle the 512x texture pack? Don't think I can do much better than that, as only the insanely overpriced video cards have more RAM than that.
Add *sarcasm* tags around everything I say. If that doesn't help *insane in the membrane* works even better. For example: *sarcasm* Mewcats go mew, thought you ought to know *sarcasm*
BDcraft Admin
578 Posts

Post 29 Jul 2013, 18:30 

That could work but without CTM for Clay textures I think... ;)
Have you tried Cubik?