Patchers: Why 128x?

General help with our resourcepacks, our website, or Minecraft - including mods.
7 Posts

Post 03 Apr 2019, 05:04

Hello, I've recently begun diving into the patching world. After a help centre forum search, I found nothing quite like this, so I find it justified to make a new topic.
I found a few mods that interest me in the WIP boards and downloaded their highest resolution files to see what's missing with the intention of contributing in the near future.. I notice that quite a few mods only go for 128x at maximum size. I ask the long-standing patchers: why is this? I want to offer as high as 512x (to match the largest PureBDCraft resolution for users with this need) in my releases if possible, but I also want to be consistent when contributing to projects with their established maximum resolution. Is this a matter of file hosting space? Issues downsizing?
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
BDcraft Web Admin
6615 Posts

Post 03 Apr 2019, 10:26 

The main reason for why textures are sometimes only done at a maximum of 128x is "most people can't use 512x for mods, so why bother?"

The other reason is that a specific person is making textures primarily for themselves and can only use 128x at max.

Most of my patches are done at 512x, because it's easy for me to resize them and I work on the main pack in 512x so it just makes sense to me.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
Patch Creator
1498 Posts

Post 03 Apr 2019, 15:52

If I'm putting together a modpack with over a hundred mods, the chances of someone being able to run it in 128x is hard enough, but some can, so I work in that resolution.
If anyone would like to take over any of my threads please contact me. I will continue to host what I have done but expect no further updates.
7 Posts

Post 05 Apr 2019, 02:17

So it seems the main reason is practicality. Thank you both for clearing that up for me. Going forward it'll help me decide which makes the most sense to use.