Norton blocking addpage unless adblock on, however cannot download resource pack with adblock on.

General help with our resourcepacks, our website, or Minecraft - including mods.
3 Posts

Post 28 Jun 2019, 02:27

Title says it all. Norton stonewalls the addpage saying that its an attempted scam, but if i turn addblock plus on it will actually go to the page. When I turn addblock off and reload the page... nope norton stonewalls again. This is probably an issue with adfly, but right now I can only get the the resource pack by becoming a supporter. This is probably not your fault but is kinda an unpleasant railroading, especially considering I would rather have adblock off for this site. My policy is- if they force the issue or have obnoxious ads, adblock stays on or the site doesn't get used. Your site's adds aren't intrusive and you give me choice, so I had disabled adblock. I will probably buy one year of supporter, but you guys should probably look into this. And for the sake of all that is good in the world please do not tell me to disable Norton. For some reason that seems to be Microsoft's suggested fix for everything and it makes me incredibly sad.
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
3 Posts

Post 28 Jun 2019, 02:39

Side thing- did purchase a year of supporter. Slight annoyance at the railroading aside, you guys really do deserve it, and thanks for your hard work.
BDcraft Web Admin
6615 Posts

Post 28 Jun 2019, 09:33

Thanks for the support. Supporter is not meant to seem like railroading, it was always just meant to be a way to support BDcraft and gain a handful of benefits (more should be coming... that Discord part really needs completing! :'( ).

We don't actually like adfly ourselves, but have struggled to find another ad solution to be placed directly before the downloads. Direct alternatives either seem to lack actual ads (and thus won't provide any revenue), or have the same issue as adfly when it comes to questionable ads.

We've been looking for a while for an alternative, but it seems most ad companies now have moved to just targeting mobile apps and don't seem to have much to offer the desktop space.

Hopefully soon we'll find an alternative that at least isn't any more intrusive, and of course, doesn't do questionable things.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
3 Posts

Post 28 Jun 2019, 22:20

Well, like I said in the original post, I expected that the problem wasn't on your side. I appreciate your guys hard work. The railroading is purely on adfly's part, and now that I have supporter, I have even turned off ABP again. I wish I could suggest an alternative, but I really can't aside from just using more adds on the site, which comes with the huge negatives of easy circumvention and also added intrusiveness. One means of getting around it might be to offer a micro-supporter option(or flyswatter), something small just to get around adfly for the equivalent of the revenue you would get from addfly, with no benefits aside from the micro-supporter simply not having to deal with adfly. I'd pay for that. Even if it was a pay each time thing, or once a day. You already have infrastructure to charge credit cards, so it may be worth considering?
BDcraft Web Admin
6615 Posts

Post 03 Jul 2019, 20:11 

So I didn't ignore this, I was waiting from a response from Sphax in regards to a "cheap" option.

He doesn't seem too interested in the idea.

I proposed a €1/month that only gets you ads removed. I guess that may not sound small... the issue is our payment handler has fees that can reach up to €0.50... sooooo...

Anyway, if you're interested, and you have any friends/server mates/reddit randos/etc. that you know are interested in "microsupporter" it may be worth getting them to poke Sphax on twitter: @Sphax84

If he sees directly that people are interested in the idea he may be more willing to have it implemented.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin