Thoughts on this - RE:RotaryCraft

Want hints or tips about creating textures or other resources? This is the place for you.
Patch Contributor
290 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 13:13

So as most of you who know me know I'm pretty garbage at creating my own textures and usually stick to GUIs.

Anyway to cut a long story short RotCr has a lot of ore textures which are unique to the mod and not really used in any other mod. What I eventually ended up doing was taking some textures from other mods and changing them.

Are these good enough is the question?

Top ones are dusts and well I just pulled those from the relevant other mod, then we have "slurry", then the homemade "solution" and lastly "flakes" which are Tinkers oreberry thingies doubled up.

Thoughts?
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
167 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 13:50

Seems nice
BDcraft Web Admin
6590 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 14:26

I am wary of the droplets just due to how Forestry does droplets and it potentially has the ability to add a near-infinite combination of colours as they aren't texture controlled, they are mod controlled. So there's great potential for those being confused.

I could see the flakes being confusing at a glance compared to Tinkers'.

I have no issue with the slurry as I think that's only used in 3 places (EBXL, ExtraTrees and Useful Foods(?)).

Whether they're "good enough" well technically, yes besides the points above.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
Patch Creator
1498 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 14:40

I started messing about with this but got side tracked with other things.

Feel free to use or modify any of these.
If anyone would like to take over any of my threads please contact me. I will continue to host what I have done but expect no further updates.
Patch Contributor
290 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 14:48

HanFox wrote:
I am wary of the droplets just due to how Forestry does droplets and it potentially has the ability to add a near-infinite combination of colours as they aren't texture controlled, they are mod controlled. So there's great potential for those being confused.
Nah these are all texture controlled, it's just my colouring that sucks, maybe you're thinking of Gregtech who's moved to 1 texture and the mod colouring them in.

Thanks for those Nova, will try them and see how they look, there's like dozens of them to get the right colours now.
Patch Creator
1498 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 14:52

Yeah I know what you mean. I got 12 types into the sheet and got bored. I have a complete list of what is what if you want it. I've got it scribbled on a bit of paper but could put it in a notepad file if you want.
If anyone would like to take over any of my threads please contact me. I will continue to host what I have done but expect no further updates.
Patch Contributor
290 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 14:54

Yeah pls save me working them out if you already have them done.
BDcraft Web Admin
6590 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 14:55

b0bst3r wrote:
HanFox wrote:
Nah these are all texture controlled, it's just my colouring that sucks, maybe you're thinking of Gregtech who's moved to 1 texture and the mod colouring them in.
I think you missed my point. You've used the droplets from Forestry which are mod controlled meaning they have infinite combinations. So you using them is a bad idea due to that because a mod could very easily decide to make them the colours you chose (I actually think a few may already be that colour).

This post is vaguely irrelevant now due to Novamanga, but it's something that people should really be keeping in mind when "borrowing" textures from elsewhere.

Much better to have a slightly bad original design than to take something else just for it to clash with something.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
Patch Contributor
290 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 15:07

Yeah point taken, I did try and as usual it looked like Quasimodo's vomit, centrifuged, then frozen, in other words a right old mess.

I thought I made them sufficiently different (they are in game, much bigger and wider) but since you could easily see what I used then .... at least the GUIs look nice (if Reika would stop bloody changing them).
Patch Creator
1498 Posts

Post 05 Mar 2014, 15:22

Ok, here is a download link of what I have done so far. Also included are 2 overlays to go over the mod extracts files to let you what is what. It all done for 128x
Fell free to use anything I've made here. Hope this gives you a head start.

If your going to start this then open a WIP thread.

Good luck with this one.