[IMPORTANT|Java] If You Have Trouble Downloading the Pack

You need some technical assistance with our resourcepacks or website or general help with Minecraft, including mods.
BDcraft Web Admin
5472 Posts

Post 03 Jul 2019, 09:27

Carnaxus wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 02:07
Here's a bit of very important feedback: I use Adblock Plus. When my antivirus program literally tells me "Blocked because virus," AND the page itself yells at me for using Adblock, that means I can't get the pack. I am not turning off Adblock on a page my antivirus program tells me is literally crawling with viruses, and I am FAR from the only Adblock user with this problem.

Could someone on the team please PM me (and perhaps the other people with this same problem) a non-Ad.fly link to the pack? I'm trying to use the 128x pack.
Whilst I agree adfly is bad, and I'm disappointed that Sphax hasn't found a replacement yet, this is not pack feedback so I moved the post.

Adblock Plus is crap, plain and simple. Try uBlock Origin.
If you like a post give it a diamond! :arrow_heading_up:
Supporter
60 Posts

Post 03 Jul 2019, 10:46

HanFox wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 09:27

Whilst I agree adfly is bad, and I'm disappointed that Sphax hasn't found a replacement yet, this is not pack feedback so I moved the post.

Adblock Plus is crap, plain and simple. Try uBlock Origin.
I have both Adblock and Adblock Plus because at one point the former started killing Youtube. Thousands upon thousands (no, really, it showed 12k once) of blocked ads, and the video wouldn't load. Plus it wasn't Adblock Plus that complained about the virus-infested site, it was Malwarebytes. Is there any chance I could get a direct link in a PM? There's no way in hell it's safe to turn off adblock or adblock plus on Ad.fly anymore. Period.
Last edited by Carnaxus on 07 Jul 2019, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
BDcraft Web Admin
5472 Posts

Post 03 Jul 2019, 10:50

No, there are no direct links to give out, and I'm suggesting you use uBlock Origin because I know they've fully defused our adfly. uBlock Origin is very reactive to ad reports and updating their blocklists to keep out everything.

Adblock is a for-profit company, and simply can't be trusted with your safety online.

All I use is uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger, and I've never had a single issue.
Supporter
60 Posts

Post 07 Jul 2019, 09:29

HanFox wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 10:50
Adblock is a for-profit company, and simply can't be trusted with your safety online.
Except I've never given them a cent.

As I mentioned in the thread somewhere about Ad.fly, there're a few dozen alternatives that aren't virus-infested steaming piles of garbage doing a very poor job of masquerading as a legitimate site. Optifine uses Adload, which I've literally never gotten any warnings from nor any viruses from even before I had Adblock/Plus or Malwarebytes. There are several dozen others as well.

And that's the end of my off-topic posts, I promise.
BDcraft Web Admin
5472 Posts

Post 07 Jul 2019, 09:45

Carnaxus wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 09:29
HanFox wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 10:50
Except I've never given them a cent.

As I mentioned in the thread somewhere about Ad.fly, there're a few dozen alternatives that aren't virus-infested steaming piles of garbage doing a very poor job of masquerading as a legitimate site. Optifine uses Adload, which I've literally never gotten any warnings from nor any viruses from even before I had Adblock/Plus or Malwarebytes. There are several dozen others as well.

And that's the end of my off-topic posts, I promise.
You've never given them a cent, but other services that you may not like (given you're using an AdBlocker) have. I guess it's up to you what you install, I'm just pointing out that uBlock Origin isn't there to make money, it's just there to block ads (and completely defuses and skips our ad.bdcraft.net ads, which AdBlock obviously doesn't).

And to address "adload". That is AdFoc and we tried it and 99% of the time no ad actually loads, so the chance to see malicious ads is heavily reduced, but it also means there's no revenue there either. Also, sometimes when we have seen ads on adfoc they have been just as malicious.

The pure "interstitial ad" way of doing stuff is fundamentally flawed. Ad networks like that refuse to host the ads they support. Meaning as soon as an ad has passed these companys' checks they just change up the ad code (chiefly the JavaScript) and let rip with all sorts of crap.

We're looking to move away from adfly when we can find another workable solution, but in the meantime when the person who made this website tells you how to bypass something you don't like you might wanna listen :sweat_smile:
Supporter
60 Posts

Post 07 Jul 2019, 11:45

Have you guys tried making a Patreon?
BDcraft Web Admin
5472 Posts

Post 07 Jul 2019, 11:55

Carnaxus wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 11:45
Have you guys tried making a Patreon?
Heh, I suggested that to Sphax when he first asked me to help work on the pack in 2016.

His response was he was worried people would expect content of some sort on Patreon itself. I tried to talk him around, but he was too worried.

The Supporter on the website is basically what I managed to get him to agree to eventually. It alays his fear of additional content and gets people adfree. Although it's a bigger commitment for users than a dollar on Patreon a month.
Supporter
60 Posts

Post 07 Jul 2019, 11:59

Point out that Patreon is literally Kickstarter but as a monthly subscription instead of a one-time funding goal. All he has to do is make the subscription say that the subscriber doesn’t get anything like that and he’s all set.

I mean, an honorable mention in the credits (wherever they are) might make for a nice higher-level-Patreon-subscriber reward, but he controls what people get for subscribing.
BDcraft Web Admin
5472 Posts

Post 07 Jul 2019, 12:17

It's easier for us to integrate things directly with our Supporter system (we have hopes to add some fun stuff for Supporters). There's little point in going to Patreon now.

It's also month to month cheaper, too. As a year is €6. That makes each month €0.50. I think the cheapest pledge on Patreon is still $1 (€0.89)?
Supporter
60 Posts

Post 08 Jul 2019, 01:25

HanFox wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 12:17
It's also month to month cheaper, too. As a year is €6. That makes each month €0.50. I think the cheapest pledge on Patreon is still $1 (€0.89)?
Uh...well, not that that's a bad choice from our standpoint as users, but it'd bring you guys more money, thereby reducing or even removing the need to use things like Adf.ly. I wouldn't be surprised if just about everyone in the BDCraft community would gladly subscribe to a Patreon for you pack devs, even if it is more expensive than the in-house supporter system, if only because Patreon is a "trusted name" if you will.