Ars magica 2

Share your unfinished mod patches and get feedback on your progress. Don't be shy!

Do not post mod pack patches here.
350 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 06:49

Sparkst3r wrote:
Eunomiac wrote:
That Magic Circle looks awesome on the forums, I'll check it out in-game and let you know if there's any weirdness.
The centre is a fancy pants Penrose tiling/tesselation. Which is coincedentally very pentagonal and sphaxy :3
I thought you were going to use that tattoo one, but this looks good.

Also @eunomiac, I think we could use either the sphax end portal or nether portal texture. I think the default one is the end look.

Also I'll set up a download for the textures that people have given. Although I have still been unable to make textures myself with out my laptop. Hopefully another week :D

EDIT - Turns out my laptop arrived 1 hr later from posting this. I'M BACK INTO TEXTURING!!!
I'm back <3
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
Former Staff
1033 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 06:51

@Sillyman34 It's nice to see such an enthusiastic member on here :P
350 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 07:21

Hehe I enjoy texturing sphax, BECAUSE ITS SPHAX!

I like sphax purebdcraft for minecraft

Oh and management and additions update RELEASED!
I'm back <3
Patch Creator
343 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 08:20

Sillyman34 wrote:
Sparkst3r wrote:
Eunomiac wrote:
That Magic Circle looks awesome on the forums, I'll check it out in-game and let you know if there's any weirdness.
The centre is a fancy pants Penrose tiling/tesselation. Which is coincedentally very pentagonal and sphaxy :3
I thought you were going to use that tattoo one, but this looks good.
I wasn't able to use this for the block because i'd never get it to tile around the block. This was easier because it doesn't have to tile :D
I make sphax tutorials once in a blue moon - Textures like a monkey with a typewriter
72 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 08:30

Sillyman34 wrote:
Also @eunomiac, I think we could use either the sphax end portal or nether portal texture [for interior of Keystone Receptacle]. I think the default one is the end look.
Yeah, I figured the same thing---though I don't know if the model can be animated, and using a static portal texture might look odd. But knowing your work, I'm pretty sure the end result will be damn solid :)

Can I ask for some advice on the best way to figure out how model/entity textures "wrap" onto the 3D objects in-game? I'm slightly embarrassed to say that my current strategy involves plastering a hideous rainbow-stripe overlay onto the texture, loading it up in-game, taking screenshots from various sides, then extrapolating from the screenshots how the texture file works. While this method works, I kinda feel like I'm building a fire by rubbing two sticks together because I'm ignorant of the existence of matches ;)

I'm also curious about the apparently unused parts of the Keystone Receptacle texture (you can see in my PSD where the purple bits actually map onto the in-game block; the unmapped areas are, as far as I can tell, completely unused).
Amateur dinosaur hunter and extreme weather enthusiast, whose interests include spoken mime, armchair parkour, tactical gaslighting, conspicuous ninjutsu and Schröedinger's pentameter—of which this sentence may or may not be an example.​
350 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 08:47

Sparkster- aahh i see. Well i like the look of the new one. Also how you doing with the runes. I ave found that the default texture for runes have been changed ro a pentagon shape. Not as good looking as sphax, but same shape.

Eunomiac- I too have trouble with models. Maybe sparkster if you have time, you could add that to your tutorials? Also Eunomiac, thank you for your large contribution of textures.. your on credits :D
I'm back <3
72 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 08:55

Sillyman34 wrote:
Eunomiac- I too have trouble with models. Maybe sparkster if you have time, you could add that to your tutorials? Also Eunomiac, thank you for your large contribution of textures.. your on credits :D
But... but... they're mostly 64x temp textures that I stole from other people! I deserve the pillory, not praise! ;)
Amateur dinosaur hunter and extreme weather enthusiast, whose interests include spoken mime, armchair parkour, tactical gaslighting, conspicuous ninjutsu and Schröedinger's pentameter—of which this sentence may or may not be an example.​
350 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 10:44

Well it was you that took the time :D

You made collecting far easier for me xD
I'm back <3
Patch Creator
343 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 14:28

Sillyman34 wrote:
Sparkster- aahh i see. Well i like the look of the new one. Also how you doing with the runes. I ave found that the default texture for runes have been changed ro a pentagon shape. Not as good looking as sphax, but same shape.
Erf... soon™©®‎
Sillyman34 wrote:
I am terrible at models... so that might not happen any time soon :/
I make sphax tutorials once in a blue moon - Textures like a monkey with a typewriter
BDcraft Web Admin
6592 Posts

Post 11 Feb 2014, 14:37

There is no easy way to make models.

Most mod makers appear to use a texmap which is just an array of colours, so all you can really do is throw colour on it, figure out which bit is what and texture it appropriately.

Alternatively you could deobfuscate the mod code and try and work out the co-ordinates I imagine are present there :P

Also, sparkst3r, update ComputerCraft :|
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin