Need help making/fixing a texture pack.

General help with our resourcepacks, our website, or Minecraft - including mods.
7 Posts

Post 01 Jul 2014, 19:11

Here's the deal.

I've patched the original 64x64 Sphax PureBD Texture pack (for 1.6.4) to accommodate my mods in my own modpack. These mods include:
Show
- Aether II
- Natura
- Meteors Mod
- Nether Ores
- Tinker's Construct
- Better Dungeons
- Better Storage
- Enchanting Plus

The mods I haven't added patches to are (for obvious reasons):
Show
- Waila (What am I looking at)
- Dynamic Lights
- Zans Minimap (AKA Voxel Minimap)
- Damage Indicators
- Not Enough Items

My problem is that I get greyed/white out boxes for textures. I've made sure all of my mods (and texture packs) correspond to the 1.6.2 client that I'm using (some patches/mods are 1.6.4 but there is no major difference that should effect my pack in any way).

Here is a screenshot of what I mean
Show

As you can see, the textures work but then the default textures bug out really strangely.
This pack works fine normally with both vanilla Minecraft and any modpack on the Technic Launcher (Which, evidently, has more mods than what I'm running right now). As a side note, I have allocated 1GB of RAM and that seems to work fine for everything.

I'm guessing it's a problem with the way I've patched the resource pack but I was wondering if someone could either
1) Help me fix it
OR
2) Compile the resource pack for me

Either way, I'd be incredibly grateful. Default textures drive me mad nd PureBD is the best pack for me.

Thanks!
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
Former Staff
1033 Posts

Post 01 Jul 2014, 20:47

Grey or whited-out textures are a common problem with not enough VRAM (the RAM on your video card). If you want to continue using the 64x resolution, go ahead and remove the patches one-by-one until you can play, or you may have to switch to a lower resolution altogether. You can also try increasing the amount of RAM you give minecraft.

What are your graphic card specs? Laptops are always going to have a hard time with Minecraft.
7 Posts

Post 02 Jul 2014, 12:53

I have 1GB of VRAM on my Nvidia GeForce 240

-- 02 Jul 2014, 12:53 --

So I've managed to find the root of my problem. It's the Tinker's Construct textures. Without them everything works fine. Is there a way to fix this or..?

Thanks
BDcraft Web Admin
6623 Posts

Post 02 Jul 2014, 12:54

Not sure why 3 of those mods are "obvious" not to patch... but hey-do-ho.

As already pointed out white textures are caused when textures are pushed out of memory because there isn't enough space for them all.

You need to either assign more RAM to Minecraft (if you can) or use lower resolution textures.

Tinkers' Construct by itself adds nearly 4000 textures, so you may want to try the 32x of that as a starting point.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
7 Posts

Post 02 Jul 2014, 13:43

I've used Tinker's Construct textures in Hexxit which has several more mods than this one I've made. I don't get what's going on D:
BDcraft Web Admin
6623 Posts

Post 02 Jul 2014, 13:54 

It's hard to say. Minecraft is a fickle beast.

Hexxit was maybe just setup better than your current modpack. Maybe they had certain tweaks they used. Maybe your computer bits are failing. Maybe you've missed a setting that you were using in Hexxit.

The bottom line doesn't change, textured are being pushed out of memory.

If you have any onboard graphics make sure Java isn't accidentally using them (you'll have to google for how to check that), make sure your graphics are up-to-date, and Java and Forge.

If you're using Optifine or MCPatcher (though you never said) remove it. Try without Dynamic Lights.

Try to assign more system RAM to your client, if you can, or use lower resolution textures.
7 Posts

Post 03 Jul 2014, 15:42

How can I use the HD textures without Optifine?
BDcraft Web Admin
6623 Posts

Post 03 Jul 2014, 15:46

Minecraft natively supports HD texturepacks since MC1.5, if I recall correctly.

All Optifine does now is supply more features like Connected Textures, RandomMobs, etc. and supposedly fix "lag", but it seems to cause more issues than it fixes nowadays.
7 Posts

Post 03 Jul 2014, 17:11

Okay! Thanks!

-- 03 Jul 2014, 16:12 --

I'll try added the TC textures now after removing Optifine and see if anything changes!

-- 03 Jul 2014, 16:18 --

It's worked! Thank you guys so much!

-- 03 Jul 2014, 17:11 --

Also, I seem to be getting Mining latency after a while. Is that Treecapitator?
BDcraft Web Admin
6623 Posts

Post 04 Jul 2014, 16:22

Mining latency generally due to bad ticks per second. It's usually caused by a mod/block/entity doing something silly. You can try installing Opis and see if you can pin it down.