FPS drop

General help with our resourcepacks, our website, or Minecraft - including mods.
Supporter
5 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2024, 03:20

I have been working on throwing together a pack for the Direwolf20 1.20 mod pack. I was able to get some packs put together for the mod. I was excited to get to use PureBDcraft for this mod pack but then I enabled it in my game and my FPS dropped to 1-2 FPS. I was hoping it was my graphics card, spoiler alert, it wasn't my GPU. I know Java is mainly CPU but I needed to update my GPU any how (it was a NVIDIA 670), so I got a 4060 and it hasn't changed anything. My motherboard and CPU does not have onboard graphics so that isn't the issue.

I did download ATM8 modpack, 1.19 texture pack and the mod texture pack and booted it up and got 30+ FPS. This makes me think that I did something wrong when I was putting together the mod texture pack for Direwolf20 1.20.

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong and causing an FPS drop?
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
11 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2024, 09:33

If you put a link to the pack you created, we might be able to see if theres anything wrong with the file structure / test it to confirm it's not just your rig :)
BDcraft Web Admin
6623 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2024, 11:17

Generally Minecraft has FPS issues on new cards because Minecraft doesn't support the latest OpenGL. It supports 3.2, first released 3rd August, 2009 (we're up to 4.6 now). They do this to try and keep it working on as many computers as possible (read: potatoes).

Nvidia historically (and in all fairness, rightly) don't support old OpenGL well (to be fair I doubt AMD, or Intel do either). Driver version to driver version it basically gets worse.

There's a few things to try and boost FPS:
  • Try disabling or lowering Mipmaps in the Video settings.
  • Use OptiFine and enable "Smart Animations" setting in OptiFine's Performance settings.
  • Attempt to install Sodium (which requires Fabric), as Sodium will allow Minecraft to use OpenGL 4.6 (and all the benefits for performance that come with it).
  • If all else fails use lower resolution textures :confused:
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
Supporter
5 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2024, 12:33 

HanFox wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 11:17
  • Use OptiFine and enable "Smart Animations" setting in OptiFine's Performance settings.
  • Attempt to install Sodium (which requires Fabric), as Sodium will allow Minecraft to use OpenGL 4.6 (and all the benefits for performance that come with it).
Thank you for everyone's replies. I would like to say I am happy with 30fps as I don't plan on dealing with any PVP.
  • I will give this a try tonight after work.
  • I did try using OptiFine before posting but it is conflicting with a mod in FTB Direwolf20 1.20. I think it is conflicting with the mode that changes the title screen but not sure what it is called.
  • The interesting part of this specific mod pack is that FTB has really locked it down. They force you to use their own launcher or at least I couldn't find a way to use MultiMC. I will see if I can change from Forge to Fabric and report back.
  • :disappointed_relieved:
Last edited by Johnnyhorn on 15 Feb 2024, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
11 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2024, 13:23

HanFox wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 11:17

I think embeddium/rubidium (sodium ports for forge) also allow the use of OpenGL? Might help with FPS either way
Supporter
5 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2024, 13:33

spacefairys wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 09:33
If you put a link to the pack you created, we might be able to see if theres anything wrong with the file structure / test it to confirm it's not just your rig :)
I am not sure if I would be able to post it right now because I think I might break TOS since I haven't created a list to credit everyone that made the individual textures for each mod. If that makes since.
11 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2024, 19:20

Johnnyhorn wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 13:33
spacefairys wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 09:33
I am not sure if I would be able to post it right now because I think I might break TOS since I haven't created a list to credit everyone that made the individual textures for each mod. If that makes since.
Okay fair, you'd have to ask the board admins if you'd be allowed to PM it to someone to have a look. Happy to have a peak when you've done the credit list though :)
BDcraft Web Admin
6623 Posts

Post 15 Feb 2024, 19:22

You don't explicitly need a credit list to post a patch. It's just nice to do, even if it's just a Google sheet with all the URLs of patch threads in.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin