[Game Bug|Bedrock] Render distance of animations

Found something odd, buggy, or things missing regarding our resourcepacks or website?
Do not post issues when using mods here.
3 Posts

Post 04 Jan 2024, 19:01

Hello there and thanks for giving this a read.
So the issue occurs on Bedrock for Windows 10, Realms and Singleplayer and maybe it's just a performance balancing, but the draw distance of animated entities/blocks (portalframes, fire, lava etc.) is horribly restrictive. On resolutions x32/x64 it's around 12 Blocks, but on higher resolutions x128/x256 it went down to 2 Blocks, which is unacceptable. I really love your Artstyle and all the work the team puts into these packs, but please if possible, include a slider to configure the distance. For Consoles I totally get the limitation, but it really ruins my gameplay, ever since I started noticing it.

Relevant Mojang bug report: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCPE-173768
Last edited by HanFox on 07 Jan 2024, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added bug report link
If you like our work please consider becoming a Supporter and get an ad-free experience.
BDcraft Web Admin
6623 Posts

Post 04 Jan 2024, 19:07

I'm unable to replicate the issue with 256x (or 64x) on PC on 1.20.51.01 in PureBDcraft or VanillaBDcraft. The render distance of animations is quite a long way (basically as far as the actual render distance of the game).

Which pack are you using (as we have 3)?
What version of the game are you playing on?
Are you using any other resourcepacks besides BDcraft ones?
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
3 Posts

Post 06 Jan 2024, 16:04

Thank you so much for your time,
I am also playing on version 1.20.51.01 and currently Using VanillaBDCraft and my fiancé is using your classic PureBDCraft resourcepack. For the sake of testing we also removed everything else besides these packs, sadly we experienced the same results higher texture results in lower animations distance. I have actually made a short Video, to showcase the issue, but apparently it won't accept the link, so please add me on Discord if you want to take a look (cheezenuggies / frozenuggs) We also tested it with different Resourcepacks, but they seem to be working fine. I am myself not really knowledgable about Bedrock at all, but if you need anything else to help fix this issue, feel free to ask and thank you so much for you insanely quick reply!
BDcraft Web Admin
6623 Posts

Post 07 Jan 2024, 09:20

That doesn't really make sense that it'd just be broken with our packs...

There is a game bug with HD textures that we worked around years ago, and have had no complaints (until yours) like what you're describing since, so I can't really believe it's just our packs with the issue, especially as I can't replicate it. if I remove the fix that issue comes back for me, so it would suggest the game is still bugged somehow.

I did however find this bug, which is a general game bug, that describes the same issue: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCPE-173768

Maybe keep an eye on that bug report, and if Mojang ever fix it maybe your issue will fix, too.
Profile pic by TsaoShin: https://www.deviantart.com/tsaoshin
3 Posts

Post 10 Jan 2024, 23:48

Huh.. after thinking it through, you're most definetly completely right. I had tested it with a 16x16 resourcepack, ofcourse it's acting normal with the mipmap textures, since the issues only start by increasing the resolution. Hm... I am very sorry for thinking it was the Packs fault, when it's an annoying quirk of Bedrock. It really is a shame spending money on a good quality product, when the game itself makes it "less playable". I really hope they do fix it at some point, but looking at the dates of the Bug reports being half a year old and the knowledge about how long the "big item in hand" bug has been present I'm not too optimistic about the future. Thank you for all the great replies.

I appreciate your time and wish you and the BDCraft team all the best.